1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS moving schools

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by alba21, Jan 7, 2017.

1. alba21

alba21 New commenter

Hi chaps,

I am an English HOD currently on UPS 3 and the max TLR. A job has recently come up in a school close to me (I currently commute up to an hour each way) and I'd like to go for it. However... it is only advertised as Main Scale and with a TLR of 1c (£7,800). Interestingly, it's also advertising for a 2iC on MPS with TLR 2a- only £1500 difference!

My questions to you are- is this normal to pay such a small difference between HOD and 2iC? Also, have we now lost the right to move our current pay entitlement from school to school? Moving to this job on this advertised pay would be an almost £18,000 pay drop as I'm currently getting Inner London Allowance and I'm not sure my bank balance can handle it. It would be so nice to move closer to home and closer to my son...

Thanks in advance...

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Don't move if you cannot afford it and please read previous thread on pay portability.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Take note of applecrumble's advice. There is no longer pay portability (nor has been for a good few years) and with School budgets being stretched,many Schools are trying to avoid paying any large 'extra ' increases, but actively trying to avoid them!

4. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Blame Mr Gove , HT's and SMT's that is what they all wanted. There is still pay portability ,within some LEAs, because the nasty Trade Unions made sure that it happened in those areas.

5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

About 15 years ago I left an Inner London school where I had been on the highest TLR and also UPS for an AST position. I asked for a salary no less than that that I was currently enjoying. I think I went to point 24 of the old AST pay scale.
    You must ask before accepting any job offer.
    I am a bit concerned that you seem so out of touch with the pay and conditions for teachers. Pensions, pay portability, sick leave and maternity rights are amongst a number of changes to conditions of service.

wanet likes this.
  6. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Sometimes, adverts say MPS when they are prepared to go up to UPS. There is no harm in applying, perhaps making it clear that you are not prepared to move off UPS. The worst that can happen is you get turned down. It might be possible for you to consider moving down the UPS, as a shorter commute should save you a fair bit. Even if you are a little worse off, you then would have the possibility of moving back to the top of the UPS and ending up better off.

I am afraid that I agree with @mrkeys. Teachers should try to keep in touch with their conditions of service. The changes to the rules have been publicised widely.