1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ups letter of application

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by lourob28, Oct 15, 2019.

1. lourob28

lourob28 New commenter

Hi all
    I am finally at the point of being eligible to apply to go through threshold. Does anyone have any experience of this? I have been asked to write a letter to my head/governors but to be totally honest having mental block and don’t know where to start!! Would anyone be able to lend a hand or point me in the right directional? X

2. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

You need to look at your school's pay policy carefully and specifically the criteria for moving to UPS. For each criteria you should explicitly explain how you have met the criteria e.g. for a criteria about excellent teaching, you could refer to the exam performance of your classes.

I would actually write it like a table with criteria and evidence as the headings (you can tell I teach science).

I would also suggest talking to a colleague who has gone through the process recently at your school as they would be able to give more specific guidance.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

See the above. Also, 'threshold' no longer exists. It dates back to the day when you moved onto the UPS and stayed there throughout your career. Now, you are only guaranteed to stay on the UPR for as long as you are in your current school. There is no set procedure for moving onto it, only some very woolly criteria which schools seem to interpret in different ways. STPCD only says:

15.2. An application from a qualified teacher will be successful where the relevant body is satisfied:
    a) that the teacher is highly competent in all elements of the relevant standards; and
    b) that the teacher’s achievements and contribution to an educational setting or settings are substantial and sustained.

b) is likely to be the hardest to deal with, as some schools use it (wrongly in my opinion) to make teachers take on additional responsibilities.

As well as reading your school's pay policy, there might be a sympathetic SMT member who could help. When I applied for threshold (in the olden days!) a DH offered to go though my application with me before I submitted it formally.

strawbs and Rott Weiler like this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Agree with above. The paragraph in STPCD following the one Piranha quotes says:

15.3. The pay policy shall set out the process for assessing applications and make clear how the relevant body will interpret the criteria in paragraph 15.2.
    So there should be more explanation in your school's Pay Policy (if you are on STPCD at least). But no guarantees your Pay Policy does actually say anything useful! :)

strawbs likes this.
  5. OneLooseCrank

OneLooseCrank Occasional commenter

Agree with all the above. You might also think that your basic contract stipulates that you teach your classes, mark their work and report on student progress. The UPS is to reward staff who are more valuable to the school than just meeting these three basic requirements. It might be that you share planning with colleagues, have outstanding residuals, or support the HOD with administrative tasks.
    Involvement in school plays, after school clubs, revision sessions, school trips are all examples of work advice the minimum expectations.
    Be aware that some teachers do a massive amount to justify their UPS, and some get it for doing very little.