1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS and directed time

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by pianopete, Sep 17, 2015.

1. pianopete

pianopete Occasional commenter

Hello,

Quick question. I realise colleagues on UPS or wanting to move to UPS (our school pay policy maintains the standard M1-6, UPS scales) have to show commitment beyond their own classes. Our school requires an "enhanced" performance objective, relating to whole-school or whole-department.

Does agreeing to an enhanced objectives to gain or maintain UPS mean that directed time rules disappear? Can a UPS objective require a colleague to give up their own time e.g. after schools on a regular basis, outside of directed time?

2. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

No the directed time rules for UPS or M1 to 6 are the same. There is no requirement to work any extra hours beyond your normal directed hours.

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

But you do have to show a sustained and substantial contribution, as defined in your school's pay policy. Directed time applies.

4. Compassman

True, but many Heads expect you to sell your soul to the school to deserve UPS3!

5. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

and how many HT's actually were on UPS3?

They enjoyed the opportunities that the career structure offered, strange how having enjoyed so much themselves they now seem to take delight in denying anyone else progression.

6. Compassman

....and often awarding themselves hefty pay rises as well.......

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Heads cannot "award themselves hefty pay rises" and are made to jump through demeaning hoops as part of their own appraisal by governing bodies in most cases.

8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

You can't be directed for longer than other teachers. However, all teachers are expected to work for significantly longer than the directed hours - it is impossible (I think) to do the job otherwise. In order to make the required "sustained contribution", you may well agree to regular committments over and above directed time - that would be your choice.

I am not sure what evidence there is of Heads in general taking delight in denying progression. Some may be forced to for budget reasons and others do so where progression is not justified, but I think that most Heads, like the one I worked for for most of my teaching career, are keen to allow good teachers to progress, if only to retain as many of them as possible.

9. Compassman

Are you sure about that?

I am sure the governors rubber stamp some heads quite substantial pay rises whilst ordinary teachers are denied a small incremental rise. I've seen it with my own eyes.

10. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Our Head came out of her last performance review in tears, despite the school having the best results ever and a very successful OFSTED report, as the LA adviser on the panel nitpicked over every single item on the SDP and tore it to shreds. He was denied a pay rise, the Head had agreed ones for all the teachers, in some cases providing accelerated progression. So no, in my experience, HTs do not simply award themselves huge pay rises!

11. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

She seems to change to he half way through!

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, Headteachers do not have this ability, except in a very limited number of cases where they are both the Head and the Owner of a proprietary independent school. In that case, just like the owner of any business, they decide how much they will charge customers, how much they will pay their staff, how much they will pay themselves.

You've seen it with your own eyes? So you were present at the meeting of the Governing Body when this happened?

I can therefore only assume that (a) you were a rubber-stamping governor yourself, or (b) you were a Head "awarding yourself" a hefty pay rise.

Do tell us which it was.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Only someone who has been a head OR one of the governors' panel which conducts the head's performance management can know what happens therein. Having gone through this humiliating ordeal (because that is exactly what it is) a number of times, I can assure everyone that a pay rise is not only NOT "rubber stamped", but the governors concerned enjoy every minute of tormenting the head as indicated in the post earlier. The head even has to leave the room (in my case, up to 2 hours each time) whilst the panel 'discuss' her performance and decide whether an increment is awarded or not. It was always "an" increment", by the way (nothing "hefty" about it) and there was a limited number of increments.

In fact, on one occasion, one of these governors told me "Hitting your targets doesn't mean you get a pay rise - it just means you don't get sacked."

Don't believe everything you read in the papers. A few heads might be on large salaries, but in my experience, most are not.

14. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

[​IMG]

Total misuse of PM, doubt this applies in any other business or job....

15. johnberyl

johnberyl Occasional commenter

16. Compassman

17. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

What about the magical world.of bonuses and other perks that top up some HT and SLT salaries? In a previous school, there was a great deal of disquiet about said 10k and 20k bonuses for reaching 'targets' whereas we were told not to photocopy or request new supplies to 'save money', In fact, I bought all my own materials such as workbooks,etc for one AS specification.(I even left copies for colleagues when I left). Then again, it was an academy.....

18. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

I am a new HT and about to have my performance management meeting soon. I know I won't be awarded a 'Hefty payrise'. I will be lucky to get any pay rise at all even though we had a successful OFSTED and very much improved SATS results. I am not on a large salary and I work really hard.