1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS 3 back pay due?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by niamunna, Oct 2, 2017.

1. niamunna

niamunna New commenter

I was eligible to go through to ups3 from September 2016 and applied for this before the deadline on August 31st this year. Today, I got my payslip and noticed that my pay has increased and U worked it out that I am now being paid on ups3. Great news! Given that I applied before the deadline, am I able to request back pay dating back to September '16?

Grateful for any advice please!

2. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

That used to be the case a few years ago but most have shorter deadlines now. Ours was October 31st for an application to ups 1. But to go from ups2 to ups 3 should be considered with appraisal deadlines in the autumn term. So have they done it early for this year?

install likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

You should receive a confirmation letter informing whether your application for ups3 has been sucessful or not.

It does seem.a bit early as already pointed out. So it may be worth just requesting politely by email when you will hear back on your application.:cool:

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

i don't quite understand...you were eligible a year ago, but only applied a month ago? Or have I misread?

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I would be amazed if you could. Under the old sysytem, the deadline for applying and getting it backdated was October, so if we were under those rules, you could apply in October 2017 and get paid at the higher rate from September 1 2017. The application deadline of August 2017 would be most likely for going onto UPS3 from September 2017, not September 2016.

However, perhaps your school has an odd pay policy, so the answer to your question will be in that. But the rest of us can't see it, so can't give you a definative answer.