1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS 2

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by dskeen, Dec 13, 2011.

1. dskeen

dskeen New commenter

Hi

I'm currently on UPS1 and will be due to go onto UPS2 from September 2012.
    My school are informing me that I need to apply in the same way I applied to go through Threshold in the first place by completing the formand the performance management etc and have evidence. Is this correct?
    I thought it was based on your preformance management and review and down to the reviewer and the head.
    I'm confused! Any help would be appreciated

2. dskeen

dskeen New commenter

Hi

I'm currently on UPS1 and will be due to go onto UPS2 from September 2012.
    My school are informing me that I need to apply in the same way I applied to go through Threshold in the first place by completing the formand the performance management etc and have evidence. Is this correct?
    I thought it was based on your preformance management and review and down to the reviewer and the head.
    I'm confused! Any help would be appreciated

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

You don't actually need to apply at all, although I can't see any harm in telling the Head you want to be considered. Evidence should be in your PM review, and you should not be expected to produce any more. I think this is similar to threshold, which is now based on PM reviews, although application is required (I wonder why).

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Provided you have 2 successful PM review cycles for your UP1 years you do not apply. The move up spine should be automatic.

5. I think there is a bit of wriggle room in the regs as described here.
    In the case where the post threshold teacher is subject to the 2002 Regulations or the 2006 Regulations, the relevant body is satisfied that the teacher’s achievements and contribution to the school, or to the school or schools in which the teacher previously worked have been substantial and sustained, having regard to the results of the two most recent appraisals or reviews carried out in accordance with the 2001 Regulations, the 2002 Regulations or the 2006 Regulations, as the case may be.

I think the keys are substantial and sustained and having regard to. This does imply that progression should not be automatic. Although teacher unions would like it to be.