1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS 2 to 3...How do I get there?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Fatbaby, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Fatbaby

Fatbaby New commenter

I reached UPS 2 in 2007 , then in 2009 emigrated to South Africa until 2016, where I was Head of Creative Arts at a Private preparatory school.
    I started working as an Art teacher at a special needs Secondary school upon my return and have been here for two years, still on UPS 2.
    There are no problems with my teaching, I go above and beyond to raise the profile of my subject in the school, and the popularity of Art and engagement by the students has risen dramatically since I have been here. The school is covered with framed artworks by the students and my classroom is used as a model for other teachers in the school with regards to my visual communication methods.
    I feel that after this amount of time and effort I should be moved to UPS 3, however I have no idea what the requirements are for me to do this. Every year I have been set targets which are heavily dependent on the organisation and co operation of the SLT. I have been unable to achieve some of them due to their failure to provide me with the necessary resources. For example, one target was to incorporate IT more in my teaching, but I have only just after two years, been given a couple of Ipads and a smartboard. I had been teaching my lessons by drawing on large sheets of paper and sticking them to the wall as I had nothing to write on, not even a blackboard!

Please advise as to how I should go about this!

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

Start with your school's Pay Policy, which should give you the answers. Every school has its own policy so it's hard for us to help you in detail. Once you've seen the Policy you could then usefully discuss its contents with your school union rep, who will have experience of the application of that specific policy in practice.

Piranha, strawbs and JohnJCazorla like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

You could also see your appraiser and ask the same question, they are meant to be giving you achievable targets.

Piranha likes this.