1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPS 1 to UPS 2

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by qu1annie, Mar 15, 2009.

1. I had a quick search about this but I can't find the answer.
    I'm on my second year of UPS1 (so due to move to UPS 2 in September) but I moved schools in September. I made sure that I had copies of all my performance management. However when I spoke to my head, he said that she would need evidence that I had met my targets and that the paperwork that my previous school had signed off wouldn't be acceptable on its own (it states clearly I met my targets and how.) He also told me that I would need evidence that I had been working at the UPS standards this year and last year - I've got some evidence but it doesn't seem to be as comprehensive as he wants - it seems to be more than when I went through threshold! My line manager and the head of my previous school have now left so getting any extra evidence is a problem. He also told me that because the performance management cycle goes from September to September the evidence would need to come from the previous two years at my last school as my final review won't have been completed before the pay needed to go through and it can't be back dated. That has confused me as two years ago I was on M6 and not post threshold so wouldn't have been expected to work at post threshold standards. I thought you were eligible for UPS 2 if you had two successful performance management cycles, but I seem to need to prove more than that.
    Can anyone help me please with what should happen? (I have no union reps in our school and in my previous school, once the performance management paperwork had been sent to the head it went straight through as long as your performance management had been successful.)

2. I had a quick search about this but I can't find the answer.
    I'm on my second year of UPS1 (so due to move to UPS 2 in September) but I moved schools in September. I made sure that I had copies of all my performance management. However when I spoke to my head, he said that she would need evidence that I had met my targets and that the paperwork that my previous school had signed off wouldn't be acceptable on its own (it states clearly I met my targets and how.) He also told me that I would need evidence that I had been working at the UPS standards this year and last year - I've got some evidence but it doesn't seem to be as comprehensive as he wants - it seems to be more than when I went through threshold! My line manager and the head of my previous school have now left so getting any extra evidence is a problem. He also told me that because the performance management cycle goes from September to September the evidence would need to come from the previous two years at my last school as my final review won't have been completed before the pay needed to go through and it can't be back dated. That has confused me as two years ago I was on M6 and not post threshold so wouldn't have been expected to work at post threshold standards. I thought you were eligible for UPS 2 if you had two successful performance management cycles, but I seem to need to prove more than that.
    Can anyone help me please with what should happen? (I have no union reps in our school and in my previous school, once the performance management paperwork had been sent to the head it went straight through as long as your performance management had been successful.)

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Hmm...
    Firstly, pay decisions only have to be made by October 31st. This is presumably specifically to allow for September-September cycles. My own school prefers a September to July cycle to avoid this issue.
    Secondly, your line manager at your current school ought to be able to indicate whether or not you have continued to meet the standards regardless of your PM status.
    Thirdly, your governors are bound by a duty to review your pay in the autumn term. If they then feel that they don't have the evidence to support a move to UPS2, they may request further information from you.
    Fourthly, because you are eligible for progression, your PM reviewer should give a statement of his recommendation on pay progression, on which the governors should ordinarily base their decision.
    Fifthly, the STPCD states that in cases of school moves, the new Head should consult with the old on performance. If no information is available (as possibly in your case), then your new school should make a decision on the basis of what evidence is available -e.g. your PM reviews. In exceptional circumstances they may choose to defer the decision (note, not deny and reconsider alter, but to defer to the decision itself)
    Finally, and perhaps most importantly, you don't need an in-school union rep. You can simply contact your area office.

4. alm721

alm721 New commenter

Sorry to hijack this thread but I have a sort of similar query. This year is my second year since passing ups1. Last year I was on maternity leave and did not complete pmr because I was on maternity for a full year returing in June. I know to progress to ups 2 you need to have 2 sucessful pmr reviews however i have also read that being on maternity leave cannot prevent you from progressing. To make matter more complicated I actually resigned as they were unable to meet my part time request however they then asked if I could do one day a week and this has more recently been 3 days. It is on supply but I have my own timetabled classes and this will continue at least until the end of the summer term. I therfore believe that although I'm being paid on supply I should still have some sort of continuous employment right? although I'm not 100% sure on this.I have done pmr this year and wondered assuming its sucessful then should I be entitled to go up to ups 2 and if not on what grounds? Also how will this be affected if Im not at the school Im at now and either move to another school or carry on on supply?
    Many Thansk

5. tafkam

Indeed, maternity in and of itself should not prevent you from progressing as normal.
    Your entitlement to have you pay reviewed, however, will not exist until September, at which point it will cease to be an obligation of your current school. If you are on supply through an agency, then pay is set by them. If you are employed directly by a school, then they should review your pay in the normal way, seeking advice from your current Head about whether or not you have continued to meet the post-threshold standards.

6. alm721

alm721 New commenter

I'm currently emplyed by the LEA (or school itself) not sure which its classed at but I'm not working through an agency. I know pay will be reviewed in September but I may or may not still be working at this school so would it be the LEA who would review my pay? TBH I'm not really that bothered but would like to know as no-one else seems to be able to give me an answer that they are sure about.
    Thanks

7. tafkam

If you're not working in September, then your pay won't be reviewed until you start working.

8. alm721

alm721 New commenter

Ok I get that but what if I carry on doing supply in the same LEA. Do I have to be in a permanant post for my salary to be reviewed? Thanks

9. tafkam

No, the first time you are paid after 1st September, you'll need to be placed on a pay point, so it should be 'reviewed' then.
    You may need to clarify matters with them at that point.

10. alm721

alm721 New commenter

thank you