1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uprising about the early years foundation stage becoming legislation. Take the chance to investigate and respond.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by debbiehep, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

* * * CSF Committee Meeting Next Wednesday, 21st May, at Westminster * * *

As a direct result of the representations made by Open EYE in January to Barry Sheerman MP, the Early Years Foundation Stage will come under scrutiny from the Children, Schools and Families Committee next Wednesday, 21st May. The review, which will be chaired by Mr Sheerman MP, will consider the curriculum, pedagogy and assessment arrangements under the EYFS. It will also look at the statutory nature of the EYFS, whether its birth to five remit is appropriate and the implications for the early years and childcare workforce. Two representatives from Open EYE have been invited to attend together with Sue Palmer, author of Toxic Childhood. The other two members of the Panel will be Early Years Advisers, Bernadette Duffy and Anne Nelson, National Chair and Chief Executive of the British Association for Early Childhood Education.

The meeting is open to the public and will take place in Westminster at Portcullis House on Wednesday, 21st May between 9.30 am and 11.30 am. Letters and written evidence will also be considered. All supporters will be welcome. However, since the object of the meeting is to consider whether there is sufficient concern about the EYFS to justify convening a full blown CSF Select Committee review it is ESSENTIAL that as many of us as possible either write in with our concerns or submit written evidence, however small or paltry they may seem!

The person to send your letter and/or evidence to is Susan Ramsay, Committee Secretary, at our Committee address: csfcom@parliament.uk

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

3. Msz

4. I have signed but I will be very disappointed if any resulting 'inquiry' only enquires of the people associated with the Open EYE campaign - bearing in mind that the TES early years posters also had an online petition regarding developments in the early years which was quickly dismissed by ministers.

Although such ministers and politicians may appear to 'dismiss' people's protestations, nevertheless, the points are still made. These all add up, over time, to give such politicians the message that their proposals do not fit in with ordinary people's views on their own life and work.

We must always speak out one way or another rather than protest only to our friends, our families or 'ourselves'.

With modern communication systems, there is no excuse not to make our feelings known!

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

bump bump

6. Msz

7. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Msz, do you know what the link is for this Gov info? I'd love to have a look at the info sheet/site.

8. Msz

9. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Thanks Msz. Two very slick handouts. I feel so reassurred by them so I know parents will too![​IMG]

Some of our parents have heard about it all and have said that as long as the changes do not imapct on the rest of the school and causes problems for future common entrance exams they're not bothered but would be if they do see anything which will in their view cause future problems.

10. I managed to reply to a comment!! At last!!! Just wanted to say thanks Msz for keeping us posted with recent developments. We are witnessing good quality childcare crumble in front of our eyes as it is squashed by Ms Hughes and her cronies weilding the EYFS, and it makes me so sad and so ANGRY.

11. What has happened to the old fashioned 'teaching'. Lets teach the children in a fun and exciting way, the 3rs!! Is it any wonder that children are growing up with no respect for authority, parents etc. They will grow up not knowing their alphabet, not being able to write or speak properly, they will not understand boundaries etc etc etc. Why cant we teach the children to tidy up and have set alphabet time, use worksheets to help them etc. It is absolutely ludicrous how observing the children and keeping relevant evidence is MUCH MORE IMPORTANT than teaching and spending quality time with the children!!! What will they grow up to be like!! Too late then though eh!!! We are not allowed to tell the children what we would like them to do, but to let them choose, with no influence from us. How can they choose things that they no nothing about, eg. themes, alphabet etc. They have to be taught and shown and helped along the way, learning the boundaries etc. Funny how since the Government have been changing the way we teach, there has been more trouble in the streets, more children playing truant and less respect for their elders!! Funny - something we are doing now is not working - I wonder what that could be!!