1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uprising about the early years foundation stage becoming legislation. Take the chance to investigate and respond.

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by debbiehep, Nov 30, 2007.

1. The early years TES petition was never undertaken in a complete way. Although I headed up the petition, I did not support it hammer and tongs as I have been so very busy and preoccupied with other work.

I did speak with TES journalists. There were moves to get into the hard copy of TES. Indeed, a photographer commissioned by TES came round to the school where I work part time and took a huge number of photos to support a promised piece in the TES - but the piece never happened.

My 'notion' was that it would spread via the TES itself as there was some initial interest from the TES people and it certainly, in my view, should have been considered newsworthy. At that time also, there was coverage of the, then, new EYFS guidance by Teachers TV and figures like Nick Gibb went on record saying how ludicrous the tick-box regime for littlies was etc.

In effect, I was waiting for it to spread via the educational media but I didn't work hard at promoting it.

I, and some others, drew attention to it direct to MPs and ministers. For example, I emailed Andrew Adonis and Ed Balls about it and also heard from Beverley Hughes.

Perhaps if I was more determined to make inroads, I could have (as could others) if we had more time and energy to do so.

Much of last year I devoted to writing my online phonics programme and time was of a minimum.

This year, we shall have to see!

I don't mind being a spokesperson over issues of interest to me, but I do feel that other people have to play their part and become actively involved as well. It's no good representing people who themselves are not sufficiently interested to contribute and agitate in their settings.

People who know of me will notice that I am always encouraging 'others' to be pro-active. Otherwise, is one really representing the views of others - or just promoting one's own views with a little bit of general stirring up?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I agree Debbie it is difficult and hugely time consuming to raise the required awareness especially among parents .

NellyFUF I contributed to the EYFS "consultation" as did quite a number of people I know who all raised ratios as an issue. Did it make a difference?

3. Msz

4. OK, OK, OK - I've done it!

I've signed the petition.

The overarching issue is the need to put a stop to the insidious government and local authority 'Big Brother' climate which pervades education - and nowhere more so than in PRE-school settings.

What is particularly concerning is this growing intrusion into PRE-school settings which, quite frankly, beggars belief.

The government, local authorities, Ofsted and many early years advisers have, in my opinion, gone far beyond a general concern about the welfare of our littlies. An increasingly prescriptive, advisory and policing culture has led to many outcomes which are not healthy for the adults directly in charge of the children - let alone the children themselves.

It's high time that early years practitioners felt SUPPORTED and not JUDGED and constantly TOLD WHAT TO DO.

It's bad enough that so many parents have to go out to work and put their children in one kind of care facility or another, without the carers being overshadowed by someone's else's idea of what they should be doing in a climate where so many carers are constantly looking over their shoulders accounting to the paperwork and not really to the children.

I would like my granddaughter's carers to be free and inspired to bring their own creativity to the setting and to the children in an individual way.

I would be very grateful, as a grandmother, for records which amount to a memento (for us to keep) of my granddaughter's time spent at pre-school - not zillions of post-its informing the Foundation Stage Profile targets.

Imagine how wonderful such mementos might be if the practitioners found some time to create the memento books instead of formal observing and assessing to provide evidence for the Foundation Stage Profiles.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this transference of time and energy led to better and more delightful records created in a more natural way than fitting the children into those dratted boxes.

I think that the EYFS material is there if people require it and need it, and that it should remain as guidance and not become statutory.

Early Years practitioners, along with everyone else in life, need to be accountable, responsible and independent thinkers - and too much guidance and prescription has the downside of making everyone lose their ability to 'think and do' independently.

2008 needs to become the year of independent thinking, questioning and action.

5. Have signed! What do we do in the meantime when we are booked on courses to familiarise us with the new framework???

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

the new framework is good and has lots to recommend it, it is the way in which it dangerously can be made into legislation and then used to punish us and the children that is the issue....

no one knows how the old methods of obs based assessment and tracking will weld into the new phases of development, not even Advisory... so there's a mess waiting to happen....on the face of things our children in school based provision are all in one phase..... so where is the differentiation going to come in...... how will they break this phase down...... oh, yes, we just keep on using stepping stones........ but they are messed into the other phases..... oh dear, no one knows so how will they evaluate what we do....

the EYFS is following along and into the previous curriculum guidance which was already cause for concern in paperwork terms.......

so go along with the good bits of the training and try not to ask awkward questions!

By the time they sort it out we could all be retired.
    Or you could, "Yeah yeah, whatever......"

7. Msz

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

9. Msz

Only 938 needed for 3000 :>D

10. Msz

11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

And we are not even in school... so now we just need to get all our colleagues in school to back us.....

how many signatures will it need for someone to listen to what we are saying. Carry on like this and we could elect our own MP, if we all moved to the same area of course.

12. Msz

The aim is around 200 signatures a day which considering it was opened just before Christmas (holidays people away etc) it isn't far from target.

13. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'm upping this so that it's easy for interested readers on Opinion to find.

14. Msz

just trying to keep this issue current
    please take a look at the campaign site

15. Msz

16. inky

inky Lead commenter

17. Inky- that was spooky!

18. Msz

2800 signatures