1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Upper pay scale

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bluetonic84`, Jul 19, 2012.

1. bluetonic84`

bluetonic84` New commenter

Hi everyone! Hope school is almost finished for you all!
    The staff in my school were informed that the UPS was no longer there and that we would have to wait to see next academic year to find out what the pay and conditions will be.
    I am currently on M6 and due to go to UP1 in September but have just received my contract keeping me on M6. Would it be wise to have a member of SLT put a comment on it that it should be revised when the new pay scales are released?
    Many thanks!

2. bluetonic84`

Hi everyone! Hope school is almost finished for you all!
    The staff in my school were informed that the UPS was no longer there and that we would have to wait to see next academic year to find out what the pay and conditions will be.
    I am currently on M6 and due to go to UP1 in September but have just received my contract keeping me on M6. Would it be wise to have a member of SLT put a comment on it that it should be revised when the new pay scales are released?
    Many thanks!

3. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

It would be wise to refer this to unions for legal advice.

4. ??? How come it's 'no longer there?'
    I'm AHT in my school, responsible for staff going through threshold - I've worked with three members of staff this half term to prepare them for UPS.
    In the meantime, absolutely I would want something in b/w to reflect these new payscales. Are you in an academy?

5. bluetonic84`

We were told in a staff meeting that the UPS had been removed and nothing of yet put into place. I'm in a special needs school. Thanks for your help!

6. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Then you were lied to.

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

This is not correct and indeed you are being lied to. The new pay structure does not formally come into place until September 2013 in order to allow schools more time to acclimatise and prepare.

8. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

There are some HT's who seem to want to deny their staff decent reward.
    Almost resent the fact your are entitled to the pay.
    They also try and impose 'extra' on to those staff on Upper Pay.
    Good luck.
    Try and get this in writing as your union will be very pleased to act on your behalf.

9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Many headteachers think you have to take on extra responsibilities when UPS. This is not true.

Also get in contact with your union as the head at the OPs school is lying.

10. I don't think any final decisions regarding changes to the pay structure for 2013 have yet been published, unless I am behind the times.

11. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It depends on what you mean by "extra responsibilities". You don't have to take on new jobs, but you do have to make a wider contribution to the school than just your own classroom teaching, and this increases as you move up the UPS. For example, standard P10 for Threshold says that you have to contribute to the professional development of colleagues. Teachers Pay and Conditions refers to making a "substantial and sustained" contribution.
    Agreed. This is outrageous!

12. Daisyslot, I don't know anything about these planned changes as have been on maternity leave and a bit out of the loop. I will be on M6 this Sept 2012 and hoping to apply for UPS1 which would start Sept 2013 all being well, but would these planned changes mean it won't be possible?