1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Upper Pay Scale

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Training_2_Teach, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Training_2_Teach

Training_2_Teach New commenter

I am leaving this year to join a school overseas. I have reached M6 and need to make my application for Upper Pay Scale 1.
    My question is, will being on UPS1 make me expensive tio employ on my return to UK or should I just stay on M6?

2. This will probably be the least of your worries. Returning to the UK will entail far more than wondering what pay scale you will be placed on. Experiences are varied, but I would hazard a consensus that your experience abroad will not be considered valuable in most circumstances by most Head teachers. They have to please Ofsted and you will have been out of that racket for too long for them to consider you as a top candidate as you will not be aware of the latest buzzwords, tickboxes or general bs.[​IMG]
    Supply or temporary contracts will be your likely course for at least a year.[​IMG]

3. 576

576 Established commenter

Going onto UPS1 shows that you have met the standards to cross the threshold.
    It should be a good sign to any prospective future heads that you are more than competent.
    I crossed over to UPS3 just before going overseas.
    I'm not overly worried about it making me more expensive on my return.