1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Upper pay scale

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fat81, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Hi I wondered if anyone here has had a similar experience.. A long story but I had new head teacher who started when I was on m5 of my pay scale but I had been on maternity at the time. When I returned ti work last academic year, I was on m6 and I spoke to Her about applying for upper pay scale and she signed off for me to progress. However it was too early I had to apply for it at the end of m6. This was last academic year, she observed me and each time gave me a satisfactory for various reasons. A lot of the teachers at our school was cross with her, one actua,,y physically upset and had to take time off due to her harsh comment.
    She observed me in september this academic year, and gave me a solid good. However she has rejected my application for upper pay scale because although I meet all the other criteria ( I am a subject coordinator, part of the lmt and attend weekly meetings) she feels that until I am observed to be consistently 'good' in my observations she cannot accept my application.
    Is she allowed to do this? Apologies for spelling mistake, using touch screen.
    Thank you in advance for any advice/info

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Yes.

http://www.tda.gov.uk/teacher/developing-career/professional-standards-guidance/downloads.aspx

Click on Post Threshold Teacher and look at the standards needed.The ones for planning and teaching do imply 'goo'd or 'outstanding' is normal.

You can appeal, but if the lesson observations have consistently been satisfactory, and were not challenged at the time, there is probably little you can do.

Keep ongoing evidence this year of how you meet each and every standard and reapply next year...

3. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I thought to go through Threshold you had to have passed the last two performance management cycles successfully? Nothing to do with lesson observations?

4. clangercrazy

clangercrazy New commenter

I really don't understand the whole 'threshold' thing at all.............

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You need to meet all the professional standards for post threshold teachers. These may or may not link to performance management depending on your targets. There is certainly the expectation that teachers are good or better as threshold was set up to financially reward good teachers who wanted to stay in the classroom.