1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Upper pay scale in 2nd year after NQT

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by Mathsatheart, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Hi wondering if someone can help. I started my NQT year on M5, and then last year went up to M6, and this year I am staying at M6, despite performance management last year being successful. I have been told that my NQT year doesnt count - is this right ?
    I am thinking it might be something to do with having to had 2 cycles of PM and during the NQT year we are exempt from formal PM ??
    thanks in advance

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You need 2 successful PM Reviews thta encompass the 10 Post Threshold standards.
    Your first year covered the core standards only.
    Presumably you didn't have targets that enabled you to demonstrate all the Post Thteshold standards in your first M6 year. Make sure that you cover any missing ones in the PM targets for this school year so that you can progress to UPS1 as of Ist Sept 2012.

3. thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated.

4. paul_warren

paul_warren New commenter

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Yes, that could be a route to UPS1 but you would still only get Threshold paid from 1st Sept 2012 and you can achieve that through 2 PM reviews covering all 10 standards.
    The PM review route simply requires you to officially request (in this school year ) consideration for passing Threshold and making sure that your PM targets are compliant with the standards.
    The old application form route (pus keeping a portfolio of evidence in case it is requested) has been reserved mainly for temporary teachers who don't get PM reviews at any of the schools they work in (those on daily pay or on contracts of under a terms length) + those who work as peripatetic teachers (Music , Advisory teachers etc). The form is hellish to complete so study it now if you think you may take that route.
    It would be worth pursuing if your last PM targets did not allow you to cover any post-Threshold standards. Look at the TDA website for the Post- Threshold standards.
    LAs often run courses on passing Threshold. I've attended a twilight one in the past that meant not losing a day's supply pay and you could attend an evening one if your school didn't want to fund you going on one in school time.