1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Upper Pay Scale - has anyone else experienced this situation?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MaisieMai, Jul 8, 2011.

1. MaisieMai

MaisieMai New commenter

Hi. I have been on UPS for a few years now, but would like to leave my school and work elsewhere. However, it seems that most schools will not consider applications from teachers on the upper pay scale as they are too expensive to employ. Does this mean I shall never be able to move to another school? Any anyone else found this, please?

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Anyone on UPS will say it's difficult to move if you just want an 'ordinary class teacher post' but if you're looking at posts of responsibility you should be on a par with other candidates.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It is harder to find a post, but you can. I am on UPS2 and had a nightmare finding a post when I relocated. However keep looking and you will find one. Do not resign until you do though, it is easier to get a post when you are in post.

4. pooped

pooped New commenter

It is difficult especially now with so many teachers looking and buget restraints. I'm on UPS2 and was told after one of my interviews (I had 3) that I was the best candidate but that the budget was tight. I was lucky to get a job so it is possible especially if you want management responsibility. Good luck.

5. MaisieMai

MaisieMai New commenter

Thank you.

6. purplejogger

purplejogger New commenter

I am on UPS2 and have been for a number of years. I took time out to do supply teaching for a while. Ive just started a new job and they won't even give me my threshold. I didn't think this was possible but apparently it is. I'm still fighting for my grade back.

7. Wotton

Wotton Occasional commenter

This is because their is no pay portability now, schools can pay what they want and your previous pay level will not count.

8. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

it's not only possible, it's likely to happen in most cases. Unless you can prove they're breaking an existing school policy, you won't win, I'm afraid.

9. missied

missied New commenter

I'm in exactly the same position....but there are a few schools who will accept applications from MPS and UPS - it usually says on the advert if they will.
    It's been suggested to me that I could say I'm willing to reduce my pay and be paid at the top of the MPS scale.....so far I haven't been tempted!!!

10. kim4272

kim4272 New commenter

I am UPS1 - not had any issue at all. Schools are so desperate (in my experience) teachers not applying, they are willing to pay UPS. I've moved 4 times in the last 4 years, my own choosing. All were year contracts bar 1. I have also found the agencies do the selling for you, get you through the door then it is up to you. The ones I have been with have good contacts and are well respected for supplying good staff. All the best.

TEA2111 likes this.
  11. violarachy10

violarachy10 New commenter

Hi. I'm UPS 3 and wish I wasn't and am strongly considering giving up my points as it's not worth the problems it causes. It makes it difficult to move school as you say, and I am the head's cover when he is out, so basically an unpaid deputy. I am constantly being made to feel I have to give my pound of flesh to warrant my points!