1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UPPER PAY SCALE APPLICATION

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by paulahigginsteach, Nov 13, 2019.

1. paulahigginsteach

paulahigginsteach New commenter

I submitted my ups application and have had this as a response.

I think it would be useful for us to talk through some of your evidence with you so we get an opportunity to tease out those parts of the ‘substantial’ and ‘highly competent’ definitions of ‘working not just in his/her own classroom or with his/her own groups of children, but is also making significant wider contribution to school improvement, which impacts on pupil progress and the effectiveness of staff and colleagues’. Sometimes documents don’t capture the full flavour and so a discussion could be useful.

Perhaps we could meet on Friday this week? If after our discussion you then feel that there might be more evidence available to support this, then I would be happy to pause the process for a fortnight before re-reviewing.

I am a head of department on a full time table and feel like I have been given very little opportunity to make significant wider contribution to school improvement, which impacts on pupil progress and the effectiveness of staff and colleagues’.

Advice welcome

2. paulahigginsteach

3. paulahigginsteach

I should also mention I am the only teacher in my department!

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

primary transition work; contribute to organising and running CPD; school governor; union rep; sit on working parties re: curriculum; mentor student teachers

5. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

@strawbs has posted some good ideas of things you might be doing which would count, but really, you need to go through in your mind the things you do which might be relevant. I don't like this way of doing things, but it is probably legal.

However, I am concerned that you might be identifying yourself. If your Head reads this forum, they will recognise their letter, and I suspect that publishing a confidential letter on a public forum is not a good career move. And, if your user name is close to your real name, you should think about changing it.

You might want to get this thread deleted, and, perhaps, replace it with a more general one about what evidence could be used.