1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

upper pay scale 2 for teachers- am I being diddled?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by mangokitty, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Hi, are any teachers out there having the same issue as me? Here's the story....

I crossed the threshold to upper pay scale 1 three years ago. Only be chance, an ex-colleague of mine asked if I'd progressed onto up2 yet. I investigated and found out I could have progressed onto this a year ago. I then asked my headteacher what I should do- he said that I needed to apply directly to him in writing for me to be assessed to 'move up' the pay scale. I said as this was effectively a year late, would I be able to claim back-dated pay? he said 'no' meaning I've lost out on £2000 before tax.
    I since called my union rep and he said this was rubbish (he even laughed at what the head has said) and that I do not actually have to do anything- the application should be submitted to the governors by the head on my behalf with no input from me whatsoever and that this should happen every two years. The majority of teachers are successful and it is based on performance management meetings. To be declined requires proof that a teacher has not met certain criterion- this can incur a fair bit of work for the head and then has to be communicated to the teacher (who may then appeal).
    I, myself, (not meaning to sound big-headed here) know that there is no way I would not be passed as I have more than fulfilled my PM targets and done a lot of work within the school besides (and some superb GCSE results to boot).
    However, the person(s) responsible for keeping the paperwork for the PM meetings has misplaced (read 'lost') my paperwork for the meeting 2007/8 which goes towards this application for UPS2. My HOD gave me a blank form and suggested I 'fill it in from memory'!!My union were very concerned about this and advised me to write an email to the head outlining the fact that he should have put forward my app. for UPS2 a year ago, that I'm entitled to a year's backdated pay and the seriousness of a confidential document about my PM being lost.
    My colleague is in exactly the same boat (except for the lost paperwork bit) and wrote the same email to the head. She received a reply saying that he was going to get back to her on this matter as he is pretty sure that the process requires the teacher to apply him/herself.
    My union rep said to let him know if the head does not respond satisfactorily to my email (in other words to agree to give me the backdated pay and put me on UPS2 from this sept with a view to being able to progress to UPS3 next year) and he will intervene.
    I go back to work next week, when I will be checking my school emails.
    I wonder if anyone else has had this experience and, if so, what was the outcome? At no time in my school has anyone (PM reviewers, senior management) EVER mentioned the upper pay scale to the staff as a whole- I wonder how many teachers have missed out?

Sorry this is so long- but it's really angering me as I feel I have been (in the exact words of my union rep) penalised.

I welcome any input on this! thanks

2. IIRC STPCD states fairly clearly that it is the responsibility of the "relevant body", the governors to confirm any increase from UPS1 to 2. It makes no mention of the teacher having to submit any form of application. I think its around p63 in section 2. Google STPCD 2009 and have a look.

3. gameplayer

gameplayer New commenter

Teachers should be automatically considered for movement to UPS 2. You do NOT have to apply. Consideration should be based on the previous 2 PM cycles. (Did you not keep a copy of your PM Reviews?) PM Review documents should be kept by the school for 6 years so they appear to be in breach of PM regs as well.
    Why are you writnig your review from memory? Was it not written by you reviewer?
    TBH there is so much wrong with schools position they would be well advised to pay you now and hope to keep you quiet.

4. Hi!
    I work in Primary; am not in quite as difficult a position as you but can sympathise entirely.
    I applied for threshold 1 in its second or third year of existence; produced lots of evidence and paperwork and had first level of threshold approved. Threshold 2 approved 2 years later by head and governors as all my performance mgt reviews were successful.
    My battle is for threshold 3; I had at least one successful performance mgt review, , if not two,then went on maternity leave, then I think I had another positive one; my next one didn't happen at all (or vice versa)...have had so many changes of head and deputy and none of them seem to know where the paperwork is. Then a new head and yet another successful review. The fact is, though, in spite of my maternity leave, I've still had 2 consecutive perf. mgt. meetings. 4 or 5 in fact, and every one successful. But in spite of the clear rules, which I, like you am now looking into, no-one in governors or management has ever brought it up. As far as I can see, the responsibility is theirs and their debt is to us. One for NUT, I think (in my cae, at least).
    Jxxx

5. Can I just ask how you got on with this. I'm in a similar boat - altho rather stupidly I've only just realised that I should have been paid on ups2 this year and have still been pain on ups1. I will be speaking to my head in the morning, but just wondered if I will be entitled to that full year back pay or move onto Ups3 sooner?? any advice would be most welcome!
    thank u
    x

6. Can I just ask how you got on with this. I'm in a similar boat - altho rather stupidly I've only just realised that I should have been paid on ups2 this year and have still been pain on ups1. I will be speaking to my head in the morning, but just wondered if I will be entitled to that full year back pay or move onto Ups3 sooner?? any advice would be most welcome!
    thank u

7. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

You should have been given a copy, after the PM meeting.

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

not a chance, backdating of that kind is a thing of the past. Make sure your head knows in writing that you wish to be considered for progression in September.

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you don't get the backdated year, push for progression to UPS3 after one year!

10. I was made to submit all kinds of information to be progressed to UPS2 and never did get UPS3. It would have made a bit of difference to my pension if I had received it. Too late now.

11. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

There are still far too many HT's making up rules to prevent their staff from progressing to U3.
    I know, I was on SLT where the HT was wanting portfolios of evidence etc to move up to U2.

12. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

.... and for a fair number of other things as well PPA.... Directed time ... initial progression .... use of ASTs ... TLRs .... H+S.......

13. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

The fact that many head teachers simply cannot follow the 'rules' AKA employment law becomes more and more apparent year upon year. I do wish there was some way of cleaning out the myths and 'made up' beliefs many hold.

14. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

Hts wanting to would be a start but then it's strange how the myths and beliefs and personal 'policies' always seem to disadvantage staff.....I'm sure their motives are pure, their errors unwitting and borne entirely of ignorance and stupidity.

15. When I came across this I was so glad that I am not the only one except I have had to get my union involved. My UPS2 was due last year Sep 2012, My head had asked me to complete a form which was given to them by the LA - Lie 1! Secondly they said that there was no deadline for submitting the UPS2 form - Lie 2! Anyway a year later after several e-mails they told me via e-amil that I had not shown to go ' above and beyond' my normal teacher role:( And I had not shown whole school impact - This is a joke as I have done more than my fair share! Anyway I have met my PM targets and now i've had enough, rang my local union rep and arranged a meeting for an appeal against their decision - asked them for a copy of the schools pay policy :) Well seems it's non existent...Anyway what do you think are my chances of getting my pay backdated:)

Sorry had to use they...I do know the sex of my head...lol

16. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

If I were your union rep I would be suggesting very sweetly to the head that they ought to cough up, and if not I would be raising one hell of a grievance with the governing body, which itself is failing in its duty under paragraph 3.1 of the STPCD 2012, not just to you but by the sound of it to the entire staff.