1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Upper key stage 2 behaviour

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocolover, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Having taught mainly ks1 and lower ks2 I wondered what behaviour techniques that actually work well on yr5/6?
    Apart from the 'look' and normal reinforcements such as golden time. What techniques could you share with me?
    Thank you!

2. Having taught mainly ks1 and lower ks2 I wondered what behaviour techniques that actually work well on yr5/6?
    Apart from the 'look' and normal reinforcements such as golden time. What techniques could you share with me?
    Thank you!

3. I am in the same position as you and have been asking my own children what they prefer. Am used to giving out paper merit slips but wanted to try something more grown up for Year 5 this year. I have just ordered some cards from Vistaprint which I think might work. I don't know as I have yet to try them but thought you might be interested. They have loyalty cards templates like the ones where you get a stamp for each coffee and then you get a free one. I have used the 10 space template and have done it on the reverse too. So each child will have a card in their pencil case. When I give them a merit, I can sign the card. They will get a small reward when they complete the card ( 20 merits). Then they can put their merit card in a box and I can draw out a winner from that box each half term. This combines my favourite places- coffee shop reward cards and restaurant business card draws!
    Not sure if it will work but it will be good to have a new system as I am bored of old one!

4. My year 5/6 class loved table/team points. I had a prize box (things from £1 or party range at Asda/Sainsburys - they went mad for power balls and parachute men LOL) and the winning team at the end of each week git a prize.
    Also used a 100 quare. Blow up a large 100 square on to A3. Children then write their names on it when you say 'name on hundred square' when it is full use random name generator to pick say 4-5 names - they win a prize from the prize box. Name in the pot also works well. They write there name on a slip of paper. End of the week you pull a couple of names out. i tend to alternate 100 square and name in the pot to shake things up a bit (but I like the 100 square as it is very visual on the wall).
    We also did 'Points mean prizes' and linked this to the school rewards system. The school rewards system involved sitckers but the Year 6s didn;t find this particularly cool, so when we collected the sticker totals in each fortnight, increases meant they got extra table points. So for every sticker they got, they gained a table point. A well done stamp in their book also meant a table point. It was quite complicated but I had a couple of really bright Year 6s who kept tabs on it and recorded the points so it meant very little work for me. It also encouraged then to collect the stickers for school certificates too :)
    I have 3/4 this year so not sure whether to use the table points. I had Year 4 once and used raffle tickets as table points but then someone has to count them at the end of the week.
    I am going to use the 100 sqaure with them. Also have a lovely glass jar that one of my Year pupils made for me so going to get some acrylic or wooden beads and when the whole class does what is expected, put a bead in the jar and when the jar is full the whole class can have a treat.

5. Forgot to add, golden time did not really work with my Year 5/6 class at all. Everyone already had 30 mins and then people lost chunks of it (it was linked to behaviour policy). I found it quite difficult to police and it was always the same children losing their golden time. I felt it would have been better if the school had encouraged children to earn golden time rather than lose it - actually I would have just prefered a system where the class earned a collective reward really (which is why I am going with the marbles/beads in jar this year.
    The trouble was, the very disruptive kids used to disrupt other people's golden time (just like they disrupted their lessons) or would not accept they had to either sit at the front while others had golden time, or do their reading/ handwriting. There was nowhere else to send them while others had golden time. As the whole school mostly had golden time on Friday afternoons, I think it would have been more helpful if SLT had supported this by having a place to send the people who had lost golden time with a slip as to how much they had lost and then been timed before being sent back - but of course that would have been too easy! I have no intention of doing golden time again unless I albsolutely have to - it became purgatory for the teacher LOL and often ended up becoming rather unmanageable with older children.

6. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

My year sixes LOVED break time, so I used that. If they were good, they could go out for a few extra minutes when the rest of the key stage weren't out. If they made the wrong choices, individuals could lose minutes, or, if the whole class was rowdy, they'd all lose minutes. No gimmicks, recorded on the board, very straightforward. My only piece of advice is always always follow through on what you say. They don't forget!!

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Oh I've also done a similar incentive with earning free ict time at the end of the weekly lesson! Also popular

8. Definitely follow through with what you said as lollipad said. Breaktimes tend to be something pupils really do not want to miss!
    I found reminding pupils of what they had done wrong during registration session the next day was helpful particularly if it happened when with another teacher - all teachers that meet your pupils will have to be on board though. I never used it as a telling off session but more 'it was a shame that Mrs ... siad that you did... when you had done such good work/behaved so well for rest of lesson.' It was also good when normally well behaved pupils stepped out of line as the other pupils could see that everyone was being treated equally.
    It also reinforced rules and expectations. Sometimes children do forget!

9. flickaz

flickaz New commenter

I've always used a raffle ticket system. Bit similar to the 100 square mentioned above. Children can earn ticks which are displayed next to their name on the whiteboard at the front of the room. At the end of each week every 5 ticks earns them a raffle ticket. I then pull out 5 at random and they can choose from my prize box which is full of random stuff I've got from poundland and the like eg bouncy balls, glitter pens, funky hair bobbles etc.
    I also find it particularly effective to keep children behind for just a couple of minutes at break time. We sell toast, crumpets etc at break and if they aren't there bang on half 10 they're at the back of the queue! For larger groups of children I make them stand in the line outside (works especially well if you're on break duty). I tend to use this if the whole class have been chatty or rude or slow etc. I always give my class a 5 4 3 2 1 countdown and if they aren't ready I count back up again and this is minutes off break which they will spend on the line. I rarely manage to count to more than 3. These minutes don't start until the whole class are outside on the line AND in their registration order standing in silence. Someone talks...the whole time starts again! Evil but works.

And most importantly...don't threaten something you won't carry out!

10. Keep it simple and fair.
    Write out the key rules and rewards/punishment just as you would another year group but remember the older they are the more you can involve them in making up the outline - if they feel they have had a say they own the result.
    Remember the feel older but they are still children and enjoy the same positive reinforcement as the younger KS2 pupils and the security of 'fair' rules.
    Carrot and stick - any reward is good but talk about it to the pupils - we had an anti - stickers view from parents - they are too old for stickers - (even through some of the pupils loved them others didn't want to appear uncool!) yet they were quite happy with the equivalent of a sticker chart done with a small card cutter.
    We have pupils with behavioural problems and a strict detention approach has cut down on underlying disruptive behaviour.
    Be flexible - you may find that the system you use has as much to do with the make up of the class as the age. There are some interesting papers if you want to think about the subject in general. I found this one useful when I was suddenly placed in a difficult year 5/6 in the middle of last term - Google it. Hope this helps.
    <font size="5" face="Arial" color="#000081">Responsible Behaviour
    </font><font size="2" face="Arial" color="#000081">Teaching children to take responsibility for
    their own behaviour
    </font>
    <font face="Arial" color="#000081">By
    Peter Leech
    </font>

11. Such wonderful advice- thank you all :)

12. I've found that things that sometimes work in the first half of the year don't always work for the WHOLE year.

I tried a couple of new ideas last year, but by far the most successful was the idea of the 'Secret Student'. I selected a kid at random at the start of the day, and I'd then keep an eye on them. You can make the behavioural focus what ever you like really - for me, it was just ironing out low level disruption. If they had a good day, the student gets a tick on a little display thing I had at the side of my whiteboard. If they weren't so good, a cross.

I used to say 4/5 ticks in a week would get them a 10 minute game of 'Bin Ball' (Ozzy street game - bit like benchball) las t thing on a Friday. Pretty amazing results - it's amazing what they'll do for a game of Bin Ball - the peer pressure to be really focused was quite impressive.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

A raised eyebrow works wonders after the first few weeks. Until then you have to show that you mean business and that there are consequences for wrong actions as well as rewards for right ones.

I use choice for low-level work based behaviours. things like 'You are going to do the work, but you can choose t do it now, with everyone else, or you can choose to do it at break. I don't mind much which you choose, either is fine.' They always seem to choose the 'now' to get on with it! Or 'I see you two have chosen to take your break now, so presumably you will be working when everyone else has their break later?' Both types of things said with a smile and no hint of annoyance that they are doing the wrong thing. At the start of the year, you would need to keep them in to finish work and so on to show that you are prepared to do so, but after a week or so you never do again.

For chatting when they should be listening they just have to go and sit by themselves somewhere for a while. So if we are on the carpet, they go and sit at the other end of the room on a chair. If we are at tables then they sit on the carpet, away from everyone else. They hate being away from everyone.

The only thing I go utterly mad about at the start of the year is name calling, laughing at or hurting others. Then I take a deep breath and really tear them off a strip. A huge, and generally fairly loud, lecture about nastiness and how we are not having any such thing in our class, how dare they treat people so badly, etc, etc. Then they are sent to work outside the classroom for as long as I feel they need to. This demonstration of utter fury (that is all an act and used purely for effect, but they don't know it) shows them that nastiness is not allowed and after a week or two I generally end up with the nicest, kindest, friendliest class in the school.