1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Uploading personal documents paranoia?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by didi1866, Feb 16, 2020.

1. didi1866

didi1866 New commenter

Hi, I have a recruiter sending me messages via email, text and whatsapp asking for passport, QTS, degree certificate uploads as well as usual personal info. My first reaction was to respond by saying I was unwilling to provide these until interview, when i will happily bring them along. I have since been tole interview is dependent on these being uploaded to register for interview. Is this normal procedure for UAE jobs? TIA for any help.

2. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

I wouldn't. This is asking for ID theft.

I know when I looked on Search Ass that they wanted me to "register" with just about every piece of official paperwork I had. No way. There were no guarantees what they were doing with this information, how it was secured, who had access to it, and no way you could stop someone setting up a false ID and you wouldn't even know it, if someone had this information.

Don't do it.

Teachallover likes this.
  3. didi1866

didi1866 New commenter

Thanks. Yes as I thought. Thank you for reply.

4. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

It's normal to upload your documents if you want a fair crack at being recruited. Search,adec,teacher horizons etc all ask for certificates and QTS.It just saves time and hassle each time a school wants to look you up.
    It's not your bank details...just what they want for a job application.

5. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

In my case I'm quite happy to do so...nobody is likely to steal my identity with my qualification...they're very of the mill.
    Besides which...anyone fraudulently using them (very unlikely) would still have to go through a whole lot of other checks later on to get the documents notarised etc etc....so they would not get very far with stealing your ID.

Do you usesocial media ? Then why be so cautious about uploading necessary documents to a recruiting website?

6. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I have never given personal documents to anyone except after an offer has been agreed.

I just dont apply for jobs requiring a copy of my passport at the application stage.

Teachallover likes this.
  7. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

I don't give any either...just scan them.
    Passport no but I have no problems with my certs and QTS.

8. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

When you apply for a job your CV or completed form contains rather a lot of information.
    Having worked on the international circuit I can understand why they want to check the certificates.
    They need a passport (or official photo id) to confirm the name and DOB match the application.

I have worked with some folks that I think got their 'degrees' from the back of cornflake box.

dumbbells66 and towncryer like this.