1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Upload 15 resources...

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by treeickle, Dec 7, 2016.

1. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

I completely agree! It takes me, no exaggeration, an hour and a half to two hours to make a one hour, well-differentiated lesson with accompanying worksheets that I think is good enough to upload and charge for. Recently I've noticed a few things uploaded which are no more than a few words on a powerpoint which I wouldn't upload and share for free, let alone recommend to teachers I didn't want to put on capability if they were spotted using one on a learning walk!

This isn't aimed at you though nick_redshaw, your lessons genuinely look really good. Careful though guys, lots of these things, wordsearches, crosswords etc are the kind of things teachers would love to use, (as they're fun and easy and kids like them), but they'd get grilled if SLT caught them using them as they don't meet T and L standards. Even in the last week of term - I know - its b******ks - but that is the climate lots of us teachers are in right now.

Charleei likes this.
  2. nick_redshaw

nick_redshaw Occasional commenter

Cheers Emjcot - fun and kids like them - god forbid ha ha.... but seriously I use them and as part of sustained PIES exercise with KAGEN games i.e. each student answering one and then passing it to the next and so on with group collaborative or paired. Would never just give them one to just do although certainly good though as a starter activity (with music playing while taking the register).

Sorry to hear about the climate you are in thankfully my school is not of that temperament (and recently judged Outstanding) interestingly with use of word searches etc....it so frustrating the different attitudes of SLT across the country. After all its about the kids not their careers.

Keep smiling.

3. videosformyclassroom1

videosformyclassroom1 New commenter

How do I opt into this?? I've opted in the 15 for £30 via email. Is this a desperate offer? Or do I just keep uploading resources?

4. nick_redshaw

Hi VFC, this is the email I got are you a Gold Author (not sure if it only applies to Gold...best emailing the authors@tes.com to check)

Season’s Greetings from the Author Team!

As a valued Gold author on TES, we wanted to share an exciting opportunity which you may be interested in over the holiday period.
    We'd like to encourage our most valued authors to spend some time over the holidays completing your latest resources.
    As a Gold author, your resources are synonymous with quality, and this what we want to reward as we start the New Year. So we’ll offer a ‘New Year royalty bonus’ of £2 / $2 for every quality premium resource you add between 7th December 2016 and 31st January 2017.
    Our New Year sale takes place at the start of January, with another promotion for bundles taking place in the month so there are many opportunities to take advantage for a boost in your sales. Simply let us know on this form how many premium resources you’re aiming for: https://tes_global.formstack.com/forms/december_january_bonus&User_ID=7037275 (https://tes_global.formstack.com/forms/december_january_bonus&User_ID=7037275)

All the best from the TES Author Team

* All resources must meet our usual Ts&Cs
    No duplicates of resources accepted
    Resources will be monitored and payment is at TES discretion.

5. studeapps

studeapps New commenter

You should remove the links to the forms as they appear to be active.

6. nick_redshaw

Hi Stu De thanks for that don't think we can edit our posts?? I don't think the User ID refs to us I think its whoever is in charge of the promotion. But will check. Thanks Nick

7. nick_redshaw

Hi Nick,

Thanks for checking. I’m afraid the links are unique to each author, so they shouldn’t be shared. It’s not a problem for you though as we track by author ID, so it won’t affect your participation. Anyone else who may have completed the link though won’t be included.

The best thing to do would be to channel them to our authors@tes.com email address if they’ve not received a link for an incentive and we’ll take over from there.

8. nick_redshaw

Hi Nick,

Thanks for checking. I’m afraid the links are unique to each author, so they shouldn’t be shared. It’s not a problem for you though as we track by author ID, so it won’t affect your participation. Anyone else who may have completed the link though won’t be included.

The best thing to do would be to channel them to our authors@tes.com email address if they’ve not received a link for an incentive and we’ll take over from there.

IMPORTANT - DONT USE ABOVE LINK SEE BELOW
    Hi Nick,

Hi Nick,

9. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Quality resources take TIME - lots of it! Doesn't matter how many of these incentives are given, I can only upload a certain amount per month. I can only imagine that people who can, are not putting in the time and thought to a resource that it requires in order to be successful...

krisgreg30 and emjcot like this.
  10. richardtock

richardtock New commenter

I agree with that.

I think TES should instead be looking at authors who produce quality content and helping them.

I don't want a little extra cash for uploading my resources regardless of quality. I want help promoting the ones I've got. I want TES to put more effort into highlighting. Making sure that the front page, like in the apple app store, regularly has great resources featured. Making sure they have a social media strategy that goes beyond retweeting what they can.

I want them to be clearer about what you can and can't sell and start weeding out and deleting the rubbish. With the cash they're chucking at people to upload stuff they could hire a person full time to go through the site and delete the trash that's causing people to turn away. I don't just mean the copied stuff, I mean the resources that are just plain rubbish.

If the average quality of resources does not improve, then it's going to give everybody a bad name. If you've bought something and it was rubbish, why would you give TES your money again?

At the moment, TES seem to think that they lack content. This is really not true. They seem to think that they can be more selective once they have the content built up. This is not true. It's harder to change to be more selective than to start out more selective.

I think TES really need to start communicating, and not only to gold authors.
    What are the long term plans? What are they trying to achieve? What does the site ideally look like in a few years? What is going to happen to free resources? They are getting drowned out at the moment, but I would suggest it's what people are looking for. I would suggest search needs to throw up a better mixture of premium and free. I would also suggest that people need a better idea of what they are buying when they make a purchase. This might mean that TES pay for reviews. Every time you review a premium resource, maybe you could get credited with 20p or something.

All this promotion is encouraging is premium authors to clog up the site with more offcuts or anything they can scramble together in their time. If you could make a wordsearch for £2 and it takes you 5 minutes, why wouldn't you? I would say, however, it is contributing to the gradual eroding of TES's credibility.

emjcot and mrajlong like this.
  11. TheGingerTeacher

TheGingerTeacher Established commenter Forum guide and community helper

I just wrote out long message and it disappeared! That will teach me to be short and sweet! Short version: if people upload rubbish for the incentive then that incentive is the only money they will see for it...

12. richardtock

But my point is that it's difficult for it to be self regulating at this point, because people have to wade through a lot of faff to get to the good stuff. Discovery tools still aren't great. I suppose, for those who are tech literate, I want it to be more like the iOS app store, less like the Android one.

I really think that rather than MORE resources, what would benefit TES the most is a cleanse of the rubbish. Because when someone downloads a naff powerpoint, they don't think 'userX is a bad user' they think 'TES is a bad marketplace'

Which is why these kind of offers are a bad deal for everyone.

emjcot likes this.
  13. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

Might be good if they selected a random group of teachers to do some reviews, at no cost to themselves. The people the resources are aimed at would be best placed to review them, surely.

I'm sure I heard this was done by Tes once before but I can't remember where I got this from.

mathsmutt, krisgreg30 and Charleei like this.
  14. TheGingerTeacher

I do see your point and I agree that self regulation at this early stage is difficult. Although I think it is possible and will get much easier when TES grows. All that said yes the incentives are nice but they aren't what drives me to create more.

@emjcot yes I think I saw this in another thread but cannot remember which one either. This would be a fantastic idea and a very good investment.

mrajlong and emjcot like this.
  15. richardtock

I think the Mr Barton resource of the week is a good model for this.

As an addition, it might be hard not just at this stage, but forever if they don't have a better way of sorting at least using algorithms. They need to bring the best stuff up to the top. This doesn't always happen.

But again, what we need is more communication from TES. It would be less frustrating if we knew their plans, thinking and roadmap.

mrajlong and Charleei like this.
  16. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

I would be more than happy to volunteer myself for something like this as I think the reviewing system definitely requires an overhaul in its present form for premium and free resources.

mrajlong and emjcot like this.
  17. krisgreg30

krisgreg30 Occasional commenter

That is a good model but needs extending as they focus on secondary resources 99% of the time and lose the primary focus.

18. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

I'd love to see investment in reviews/feedback/featured resources:

Teachers could get the option to act as a reviewer - they indicate their areas of interest. In return they are provided with a couple of resources to review/feedback. They then submit a review form and indicate if it was classroom tested or just reviewed by themselves/colleagues.

If the feedback is positive it is displayed with the resource. If the feedback is that the resource needs improvement it is fed back privately to the author to take on board.

Resources with particularly good reviews are noted for future featured resource articles.

Authors get the option to submit up to 2 resources each term for feedback.

TES indicates themes that are upcoming and invites authors to submit limited resources for those reviews too.

All of which provides loads of potential content for the blog and magazine, encourages authors to act on feedback and actively improve their offerings and ensures TES has up to date resources for relevant themes and topics throughout the year.

It wouldn't take much setting up - but it would take some management.

19. TheGingerTeacher

That is an amazing and well thought out plan @thinky wish I could like it more than once!

thinky and mrajlong like this.
  20. nick_redshaw

As a psychologist - I don't want people to get paranoid about the lack of communication i.e. 'only gold authors' and I am not getting at anyone so don't have a dig. Simply, I asked about these concerns yesterday and every time I have asked something they have promptly replied.

My Message: I note on the communities there is a ‘mixed’ reaction to the selling of premium resources – with often a concern regarding standard of some. I was wondering if you needed someone to look at resources (quality assurance) to ensure they meet the ‘premium’ standard. You may or may not be aware but Bethan and I are published authors of over 50 A level Psychology text/workbooks that have sold nationally and internationally over the last ten years. We have also created all our own resources/graphics etc. for the books and have managed and set up over 25 A level Psychology departments around the UK.

Just remembered – is there any way you can increased the number of pages viewed (or better still be able to select the pages they can preview) lots of feedback about not being able to see ‘much’ before they buy – I think this will seriously increase sales and allow buyers to make an informed choice.

There response was this:

Thank you for that offer, which is greatly appreciated and a fab idea! I’ll certainly pass it onto our Content Team and Head of Author Operations, as I know it’s something they’re thinking about in the future. Not only would it be good as a stamp of quality, but additionally it would be great to have a personal author touch, rather than TES being at the forefront of such things.

With regards to the number of preview pages, this is something our Development team are currently working towards. We hope to give authors the ability to not only choose which pages they show within preview, but also to have an individual cover image per file, rather than just per resource. We’ll keep you posted as to when these new functions go live.

Hope this answers some of your concerns and helps....Nick

mathsmutt likes this.