1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Updating KS3 Projects...Ideas?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by nightrider, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Hello colleagues,
    I'd like to introduce some new KS3 projects that pupils can complete in 8-10 weeks on a rotation/carousel system. Our current projects are a bit tired and in need of modernisation.
    Does anyone have anything they could share? Please?
    Current projects include - (Please don't laugh):
    Y7 Safety, Key Fob, Ball Bearing Game, Mobile Phone Stand
    Y8 Wooden Box, Mood Lamp with Colour Changing LED, Structures, CAD with Sketchup
    Y9 Pewter Cast Jewellery, Photograph Frame, Pencil Box with Laser cut sliding lid
    All KS3 pupils have 100 min double lesson per week and are on the rotation(carousel) for approx 8-10 weeks.
    You altruistic support is much appreciated - Thanks.

2. Hello colleagues,
    I'd like to introduce some new KS3 projects that pupils can complete in 8-10 weeks on a rotation/carousel system. Our current projects are a bit tired and in need of modernisation.
    Does anyone have anything they could share? Please?
    Current projects include - (Please don't laugh):
    Y7 Safety, Key Fob, Ball Bearing Game, Mobile Phone Stand
    Y8 Wooden Box, Mood Lamp with Colour Changing LED, Structures, CAD with Sketchup
    Y9 Pewter Cast Jewellery, Photograph Frame, Pencil Box with Laser cut sliding lid
    All KS3 pupils have 100 min double lesson per week and are on the rotation(carousel) for approx 8-10 weeks.
    You altruistic support is much appreciated - Thanks.

3. Well I was hoping to follow this thread to get some new ideas myself. Our time with students has reduced to a 7 rather than 9 week cycle as a result of the re-introduction of food technology (a great thing by the way), so our old projects have even more reason to change. Actually I am not sure that many of these are wrong albeit they have been around for some time. What I have started to do is deliver mine in a different way e.g. student complete e-portfolio like KS4, accessed through VLE. Voice recording of analysis & design thinking, sketches photographed and emailed to students, students peer review with blogs, maximise use of CAD/CAM and machine tools to raise the quality of outcomes. We need to differentiate DT as a subject where student learn through doing (sorry, gone off the point a little). I am not sure I would be doing a pencil box with Y9 so something with similar skills might be an MP3 docking station. There were some nice ones in the DESIGNING magazine a while back. I was planning a case for memory sticks (like a bug with wings), to be laser cut although these seem to be used less now students have remote access on their smart phones. We do have some nice solutions for assembling laser cut boxes without glue if you go down this sort of route. Best of luck.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

5. Simonmil

Simonmil New commenter

We get Yr9 Dt once a fortnight (alternating with Food tech) throughout the acdemic year so our approach is to make projects very individual on a lesson-by-lesson basis. As we run OCR Product Design at KS4, we've tried to establish projects that are very much in line with their 'Innovation Challenge' briefs - i.e. short, sharp projects, about 300/400 mins long that gets our kids designing, developing then modelling (we don't have CAM facilities so we concentrate on modelling skills with variety of materials). Its currently ongoing/being reviewed but we produce a mobile cradle using PVC foam (the challenge is for students to create one using a set square size and under the influence of a choice of designer) and a lighting project with a multi-cultural theme.
    Both work well and really engage the creative process whilst being able to budget, plan and adapt well.
    Email me if you want me to send some ideas...