1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Updates on vulnerable teachers and returning to work (pregnant)

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Ally3302, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Ally3302

Ally3302 New commenter

I will be 25weeks when I return to school in August (Scotland). I just wondered if anyone is in a similar position and has beengiven any information about what to expect when we go back. I'm quite anxious now it is to be full time, full classes and no requirement to social distance. I have to wear a mask in shops and on public transport, but at work I don't have to wear anything. I know guidance suggests that people no longer need to shield from August 1st, but we still have cases and we still have no vaccine. I've heard nothing from school or seen any updates from the union.

2. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Go see your doc and I'm sure they'll agree to do something for you, eg aff sick until wean makes its debut?

PS I would wear something to work if I were you . . .

sicilypat likes this.
  3. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

A former colleague was sent home on health and safety grounds by her HT, just a few days before lockdown. I think she was about 25 weeks at the time. She's now on mat leave.

But yes - I agree with Big Jimmy - get yourself signed off and then go on mat leave as normal, if you think you're heidie won't be obliging.

bigjimmy2 and sicilypat like this.
  4. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

Check things out first with your union rep before you get signed off sick

Councils may be able to instruct you that the sickness period is actually part of your maternity leave and you may need to return to work earlier than you had planned (in terms of accruing statutory maternity pay)

https://www.snct.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=Part_2_Section_7

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.