1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Update

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by 1970devon, Nov 23, 2018.

1. 1970devon

1970devon Occasional commenter

Hi this is not really 'workplace dilemma' related but after all your support, I wanted to update you.

After a tumultuous year, health and career wise, culminating in me- after appeal- being dismissed from my role of teacher. After nearly 25years it is a huge thing to accept but my teaching career is over. Following advice of GP, hospital, counsellor and dentist(!) I have applied for ill health retirement. Union seems very non committal and keep telling me i still have a potential unfair dismissal claim and that applications for ill health retirement are not very successful.
    So having started the process, tonight I am having a glass of wine and saying goodbye to my career, the one I chose in good faith SO many years ago.
    If all goes successfully we should be able to keep our family home. If my application is dismissed then not sure what the future (after next month's pay) holds. Not teaching tho.
    Thanks again for all of your advice and support.

Flanks, thekillers1 and agathamorse like this.
  2. FredfromFrance

FredfromFrance New commenter

woah, what happened? Sounds heavy. I hope you've got lovely people around you to support you!

1970devon and tonymars like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh sorry to hear this, but thanks for updating us.

I've heard that generally any employers are not keen on 'ill-health retirement' options, though I forget why.

It is sad when one's teaching career is fore-shortened unexpectedly, been there myself.:(

The main thing is to ensure your own health is your main priority at this stage.

4. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Grab whilst you can and look after yourself. 25 years of service? Surely, a medal would have been awarded by now from the Local Authority?!

1970devon, tonymars and agathamorse like this.
  5. catbefriender

catbefriender Lead commenter

Good luck with your application for ill health retirement but please have a fallback plan if it does not work out. In other words, do not put all your eggs into one basket.

Never say never to teaching again. There might be an ideal scenario out there, or there might not be, but keep that door open. 25 years at doing something means you have gotten darn good.

Hope you continue to mend and the financial anxieties are relieved soon.

6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I echo the good wishes given above, and perhaps can suggest posting this on the Retirement forum, if you haven't already done so.

7. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Sorry to hear about this - I have read some of your other threads, too. I hope your application is successful and you are freed from your financial worries so that you can focus on your health. Keep us posted on how you get on.

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

Hi @1970devon i have followed your posts with interest as I always seem to be slightly behind you in the process. My dismissal meeting is coming up soon as I refuse to resign. Are you going to follow up on the unfair dismissal? There seems nothing to lose by doing so in addition to your ill health retirement application.
    It seems so unfair doesn't it? After 25 years (same for me too) we should be leaving feeling valued and respected. I'm sorry it's happened to you too. I look back and wish I hadn't given so much and been so dedicated - it's just not worth it.

9. SantasElf

SantasElf New commenter

Really sad to hear this. One thing I did when I was made redundant from a job I had really thought I was doing well at (quite a few years ago now) was to have a party and invite all the people I'd actually liked which meant not my back-stabbing boss, for example. Planning it gave me a lot of satisfaction so maybe you could plan such an event even if you decide not to do it? I found this gave me back a feeling of control in a situation where I really had very little control at all. Please do look after yourself. And also note many organisations (mine included, a university) are really keen on employing ex-teachers! I suspect my recommendation of a website will be deleted so will send a second post so I don't miss sending you this support. X

agathamorse, Fluffy_Koala and Alice K like this.
  10. SantasElf

SantasElf New commenter

Try jobs.ac.uk for some interesting jobs in organisations which value ex-teachers. And generally pay rather better than schools....

agathamorse and Bedlam3 like this.
  11. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Is it because if you get ill-health retirement you get your whole pension, rather than it being actuarily reduced as with early retirement. And your whole lump sum? So it costs more.

I have a friend who left teaching some years ago for other work, and has since been diagnosed with a degenerative, life-limiting illness. He could never teach again. He applied for his TP on ill health grounds early and has got what he would have got if he'd waited to apply at 60.

12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

So sorry to hear the update, @1970devon. I hope it goes well. It occurs to me that after 25 years of teaching, you may not have too long to wait until you can access a reduced pension. I think it's 55. If so, then you only need to worry about filling in a few years with income. It might be worth thinking about tills in a supermarket, or cleaning offices or something simple and easy for a couple of years, just while you recover from this. There is time to consider, I'd think. Oh, and you may well get a tax rebate if you've been paying PAYE all year so far, so that's something to bear in mind.
    All the very best.