1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Update: unemployed offspring

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Dunteachin, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I posted on here a few weeks ago about the tribulations of having a twenty-something still at home and without a "proper job" since graduating. He has had a few temporary jobs, a go at setting up his own business and two seasons abroad, one of them in a management capacity.
    I am happy to report that this has all stood him in good stead and he starts a "proper job" in two weeks time.
    I can't tell you how relieved we all are. I am already planning how to re-decorate his room when he moves out (hopefully) in the not too distant future!
    Too others in a similar situation - don't give up hope! [​IMG]

2. That's great news. My nephew was in the same boat and now has an internship in London. It's costing my brother a fortune for his rent and living costs!

3. Oh Dunteachin, I am so happy for you and your son! What a happy coincidence..[​IMG]
    The same has happened here. Son, who has had two long 'contracts' and lots of bar work since graduating four years ago, was shortlisted for a post and had a second interview before the Easter weekend. He got a call on Tuesday to say he'd been successful! His first permanent job.
    Isn't it such a huge relief?
    To all those in a similar situation, all I can say is, get adult kids to keep plugging away, no matter how disheartened they become....and good luck to them all.

4. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Still on temporary minimum wage work and the other studying (and I don't think there's a job at the end of the course). This is having serious repercussions on my downsizing and retirement plans :(

5. *nods sympathetically*

6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I thought of your son, Arched, because I remember what you posted. I'm so pleased for you, too!
    Kittylion, things change so quickly. All it takes is one letter or phone call. Something out of the blue. It will happen for you, too. [​IMG]

7. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

Thanks Arched - and in my UTTERLY selfish way I didn't even congratulate you or Dunteachin on your offsprings' fab results in the world of work. So glad for you! I will view it as a good omen:)

8. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

Glad to hear the good tidings! It must be a huge relief. My daughter graduates this summer and I am not holding out too much hope of immediate employment for her. I console myself by telling myself that she will still only be 20, whereas I didn't start a proper job until I was nearly 25. Glad to know that things are turning out well for some Tessers' children. Hope things work out for yours, too, Kittylion, in the near future!

9. Oh Kitty, no worries. Like you, I am divorced and have brought my three up alone.
    I had all these grand plans for retirement (which happened on ill health grounds long before I was ready to be at home all day) so my income shrank drastically whilst two were at University and the other on an apprenticeship! The savings have gone and now this retired Mum who might have hoped her children could pay their way and become totally independent at this time in their lives weren't able to. So I still pay a mortgage and subsidise adult children. We are entitled to no benefits at all...although unemployed son was on reduced JSA. However...I love them dearly and what's happened isn't their fault. My heart aches for young people...it's so tough to find permanent work, and graduates seem to be having the hardest time.
    Like you say though...retirement plans just ain't working out! [​IMG] C'est la vie.
    Kitty, I hope yours fall on their feet soon. It all seems so unfair.