1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Upcoming fairs

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Nezelette, Jan 3, 2011.

1. How was the Search fair? Would be great to hear some feedback [​IMG]

2. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Well, I guess all those who ended up with a job will tell you that it was the most amazing fair ever, and those without jobs will say the opposite. That was pretty much the situation yesterday.
    It was a tough gig: very picky schools, nearly impossible to get interviews with no IB experience, same difficulties if applying for a job that wasn't EXACTLY like what you had done before, some subjects with too many candidates for number of jobs (French, for instance), some rude Heads, some delightful ones...
    The competition was tough too: very professional candidates, smart, polite, driven, young yet experienced...
    I was lucky and landed a great job in a great place, but it was tough for most people.
    Overall, given the outcome, I had a very good weekend and met plenty of interesting people.

3. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Primus, I can't believe you wrote that a few weeks ago. Isn't that freaky?!
    How did your weekend end?
    It was great meeting you and your delightful wife.

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Congratulations, Nezelette.
    Are we to know where, or would that be tempting fate?

5. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Tempting fate, SMTDude. But I can tell you I'm off to Asia, which is exactly what I wanted.

6. Hi,
    I am already teaching abroad and am not able to attend any fairs. What do you think the chances are of bagging a job in the Middle East just by applying the normal way? I'm getting a bit worried now!

7. Pequenita, I think chances are good. It's just schools are being very fussy for now as seen at the fairs. Once the season progresses a little, then I find I usually get more interviews. Saying that, hope same happens this season [​IMG]

8. You've still got chances pequenita. I know that many Kuwait schools don't go to many fairs. Whether you'd want to work at them is another question.

The London fair, as Nezelette said, was tough for those who didn't exactly match the requirements. PYP experience is not on my long, long list of achievements and so many different schools didn't give me a second look. However, we managed to get a place at a school that we think will be great for us. There was very little for those looking for management positions, especially if they had a spouse.

Nezelette, it was lovely to meet you and M. Nezel. I'm glad you got what you were hoping for. Our new boss said that your place is a good one and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Perhaps we can have a SE Asian TES gathering!

9. Ohh, I wish I had check this before going!

Am disappointed as the countries I wanted (SE Asia) all wanted the PYP experience!! Boo! However, I am not giving up...the day is young and all is fair at the Search fair.....

It was a very strange experience...
    Glad to hear lots of success stories. The big man said I was too picky ( I only had two countries I wanted to go to - but got less fussy as the sign up went past 9.30am!!) but I have to go with my gut instincts!!

10. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Primus, it's good to hear your boss thinks favourably of my new school. I think yours will be great too, such a beautiful place. TES gathering sounds fun!