1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Upcoming fairs

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Nezelette, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread on the upcoming recruitment fairs, as has been done in previous years. I spent hours reading those other threads and learnt a lot from them, but some seem a little out of date now.
    So, here we go:
    <ol>[*]Are you attending a fair this year? Is it your first one?[*]Have you got concerns or questions about the fair?[*]Are there any experienced people here who are willing to share advice about the fairs?</ol>

2. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Right, I'll start:
    <ol>[*]I'm attending my first fair this year (Search London).[*]I'm really looking forward to it despite some of the 'meat market' comments found on other threads. Thankfully I don't have to travel far at all, so the practical aspects of things is pretty easy. My main concern is that the jobs I am after might be gone by then. I've heard that a large number of East Asia jobs go at the Bangkok fairs, which is really upsetting. I've got a feeling I'm going to end up in Europe, again. I was thinking of attending the Bangkok fair but it seemed pretty ridiculous travelling all the way there to see people who will be in London two weeks later. Now I'm not so sure I made the right decision.[*]Is there anyone here who has ever found an East Asian job in a london fair?</ol>

3. Good idea to start this thread, if only as a kind of support system. I am attending the London Fair and some days I feel pretty optimistic about finding a job that fulfills my (broad) criteria. Other days, especially on days when a job gets deleted, I feel very nervous and deflated. This hasn't happened too much (yet!) but I am expecting a swathe of deletions just after the Bangkok fair. Does the early bird always get the juicy worm?

4. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Hi Singsingzebra, nice to see others are in the same boat, checking Search deletions etc.
    I am SO jealous of people who are able to attend that Bangkok fair...
    Is this your first fair?

5. Second fair, but the first time I attended was when the London Fair was one of the first in the year. Now its about in the middle. Part of me thinks that is a good thing. I imagine many people going to Bangkok will be wondering if they won't get offered a job because the recruiters are going to wait and see if they get better candidates later. And people going later may miss out on good jobs because they have already been offered. Its a bit hit and miss, I reckon.

6. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

I hope you're right, singingzebra. Did you get a job last time you went to that fair?

7. 1. This is my fifth job fair. I will be going to the Bangkok fair in January.
    2. I am scared and excited and can't wait for it to be over. I've already seen jobs disappear but it seems that there are a lot of jobs this year so I am very optimistic.

8. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Good luck, sangster (as long as you don't get the jobs I want, he he!)
    How did you find past fairs?
    Do you think more jobs will appear in the next couple of weeks? January is supposed to be the biggest month for vacancies but there were so many in December, I wonder if it will dry up a little now...

9. Hello Nezelette,

I'll be going to the London fair as well. Perhaps we will unwittingly meet. My concern is that many of the schools attending, at least many of the ones I'm interested in, are IB and I have no IB experience. It also seems to be the case that some schools require applications to be sent to them directly and are using the fair to interview shortlisted candidates, rather than interviewing people who have not applied separately. It makes me wonder about the value of all the Search form filling. I'm not too worried about vacancies disappearing at the Bangkok fair. The feeling I have is that schools do not necessarily know what their needs are yet and it may not be until the end of Jan that they can make definite offers.

Good luck to everyone who is going.

10. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

That Search form has become annoying (I fill one in as referee for past and present colleagues seeking greener pastures, two of whom will be joining you all in London this year).
    'How would this candidate react to a decision s/he did not like?'
    Oh, fer Chrissake! How many times have I been tempted to reply, 'She would throw back her head and bay at the moon' or, 'He would hurl himself to the carpet and bite ragged chunks out of it'. ?
    More seriously, two incoherent fragments of advice.
    First:
    Be pushy, effervescent with obstreperous self-belief.
    Don't be coy or apologetic about lack of IB experience, but emphasise your proven skill with the older bunnies in A level or Highers or the French Bac or whatever. Similarly if you really fancy a school and they aren't flirting, don't retire to the bar to sulk - stalk them, badger them, harry them.
    Last time I went shopping at a fair I had two victims in mind, one of whom proved uninteresting and the other uninterested. But I ended up with someone previously not considered who had forced his attentions upon me throughout the first day. Conceding an interview merely out of uncharacteristic politeness and sense of duty, I secured an excellent colleague.
    Second:
    This is still early days - in test cricket terms, lunch on Day Two .
    The reason we hardly ever get to Search as recruiters is that our labour laws mean that we can beg colleagues to make their intentions clear by end-Jan or mid-Feb, but they are not obliged to do this and will frequently announce their resolve to dance the Foxtrot-Oscar as late as May. There are plenty of good schools in the same predicament, which is Europe-wide but not confined to that continent. So no premature despair, mes braves!
    Choisir la vie, c'est toujours choisir l'avenir. Sans cet &eacute;lan qui nous porte en avant nous ne serions rien de plus qu'une moisissure &agrave; la surface de la terre.
    Yeah.
    Good luck, everyone.

11. My first fair was with ECIS in London which I found really nerve racking as there were so many people but as it was free, was worth the trouble. I did get a job at that fair. I have used Search after that. I have been to the Search London, Cambridge and Bangkok fair.
    I don't remember there being so many jobs in December before and so I am doubtful that there will be loads in January but there should be some. Many schools have made the date that you say you are leaving quite early. At my school it was the end of November. However many schools have later dates and are open to teachers changing their minds about what they want to do.Teachers sometimes change their minds are the holidays or when they go to a job fair and not get a job.

12. Teachers sometimes change their minds 'after' the holidays or when they go to a job fair and not get a job.

13. ljf1aber

ljf1aber New commenter

Am off to the COIS fair in London from 21st Jan. Am quite nervous, having never done this kind of thing before. Has anyone got any advice? I'm surprised at the number of job openings for my subject area (French/German/EAL)...I thought it was a hopeless dream when I first signed-up with COIS....fingers crossed! [​IMG]

14. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Primus, I know about IB experience being quite a big deal at London Search, but it all depends on your subject. If you teach physics or maths, they'd be mad not to take you anyway. There are simply too many new IB schools and not enough teachers with IB experience, so you are bound to find some flexibles employers out there.
    I must say I'm grateful for my own IB experience though, as I'm hoping it will balance out the not-quite-qualified teaching partner and two kids. See, no one's a perfect candidate!
    SMTDude, thanks for the advice. If stalking works, then I will stalk. I have a couple of victims in mind. As for not despairing, thanks for the advice too, but I'm French AND a philosopher: it's my job to despair (while still trying to seem 'effervescent' and 'full of obstreperous self-belief').

15. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Recalls my debut as recruiter, for a school in Locombia's third city. The system was (still is?) that recruiters perused CVs and then sent a billet-doux to each applicant who had caught their fancy. Then next day we all sat at tables round a ballroom, waiting for love to come a-calling, not unlike the ladies just across the road in Soho.
    My boss, an ADHD type, wandered off early, to seek out coffee and cronies. At the next table, for we were in alphabetical order by country, sat the head of a school in Locombia's capital. We will call him Mr Foote. A brilliant, handsome, cultured man, he sometimes liked to play the rough-hewn Lancashire lad.
    A teacher of Economics, my written blandishment in his hand and an indignant look on his face, approached the table.
    "You the one who sent me this note? For Locombia? You serious or what?"
    "Well, yes, I have read your CV and I think you could do an excellent job for us."
    "What, the place wiv all them drugs?"
    "Please take a seat, and I'll tell you what life is really like there."
    "Noo, but you gotta be jokin'. How many kidnappings an' shootings d'you get? 'Slike mayhem down there, innit?"
    And so on. A prolonged and gracious attempt to explain that there was more to Locombia than could meet the eye of the tabloid reader, met a wall of disbelieving oafishness.
    Mr Foote had been eavesdropping. He leaned across, and said, "Scuse me butting in, Dude, but you've not done this before, have you? No, so allow me to advise you that you're wasting your time.
    Then his Boltonian drawl went stentorian, audible right across the chattering room:
    "YOU MEET AN IGNORANT COUNT LIKE THAT, YOU TELL HIM TO FOR COUGH STRAIGHT AWAY!"
    A hush fell over the fair, and a red-faced Economics teacher wombled away, having just missed his chance with one of the loveliest countries on earth.

16. I am at the Bangkok fair now. My dream job has gone but there are lots of jobs still there so staying positive.

17. Good luck to you then sangster2.

18. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Keep at it, sangster and good luck.
    Please keep us all informed from the 'front line' - very useful for those who are about to attend fairs, and edifying for those of us condemned, this year, to live the experience vicariously.
    Which schools are attracting the longest queues? What's the word on who has the hottest 'packidge' in Asia? Who is the zaniest head teacher, the weirdest candidate?
    Anyone else at the fairs, crash in here and tell us how it goes...

19. Nezelette

Nezelette New commenter

Hopefully Sangster and fellow Bangkok candidates are extremely busy attending dozens of interviews. Let us know how it went once the fair is over and you've caught your breath.
    I was amazed by the number of deletions of positions on the Search wesite this morning.
    Yet Po-Face teels us there aren't enough candidates at the Bangkok fairs.
    Schools must be panic-buying candidates!

20. I'm not a member of Search, just wondering do schools post jobs on Search as well as TES and COIS. Or do they stick purely with Search and advertise on the others only after? (if not getting all the people they need at the job fair)