1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

UP3 Expectations- what are they?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Mick130, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Mick130

Mick130 New commenter

After being employed as English lead & class teacher. I am now English, PE, NQT mentor, Travel plan & KS2 leader. Some of these I have agreed to, but PE not. Do I have the right to say no?

Can anyone help?

M

2. gill42

gill42 New commenter

I'm UP3 and am KS2 leader, Maths lead and I also lead Art. I do collective worship once a week and carry out TA appraisals. I also teach Year 6. I definitely wouldn't take on anything else and am sure you are within your rights to refuse to carry out PE leader. NQT mentor will definitely take up a lot of your time - unsure what a travel plan lead is?

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

happy that I refused ups when offered/invited. I was delighted with the "keep good teachers in the classroom" selling speel.
    But never trusted politicians or managers to stick to it.

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

You have the right to say whatever you like and your HT has the right to allocate you whatever responsibilities and duties they see fit.

How big is your school? ‘Travel plan lead’ is hardly a role, once it’s done, it’s done! The size of the NQT mentor role depends on how many NQTs you actually have? How many additional hours of work per week will being a PE leader actually involve? Order some equipment, sort sportsday, job done...

The requirements of a UP3 teacher are outlined in the teachers’ standards document and do not really vary from those of an M1. You will, I assume, have had to demonstrate your competencies and whole school contribution when you were moved onto the scale in the first place.

5. squashball

squashball Occasional commenter

Hi Mick130 I would definitely question the wisdom of taking on too many additional roles assuming you are a full time teacher too. However everything you have been given seems reasonable WITH THE EXCEPTION of PE. I led PE for a few years and it's a biggie particularly if you have to organise inter and intra-school competitions. You also have to spend the sports premium funding creatively and show the spend on spreadsheets. Could you ask to offload this one onto someone keener? I don't believe you have the right to say "no" but my HT would never have dumped stuff on me without discussion in the first place, so it would never have become a problem to me. How rude to just do this to you!

6. Mick130

Mick130 New commenter

BTW I should have mentioned that I have Parkinson's and undue stress can lead to significant symptoms.