1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Up to three million Hong Kong residents are to be offered the chance to settle in the UK and ultimat

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Wanda_the_Wonder, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Occasional commenter

Mr-Mathematics likes this.
  2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Ultimat?

I'm on the edge of my seat.

3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

[​IMG]

blazer and ajrowing like this.
  4. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

The major catch is that many of the BNOs wont be able to bring their children or non BNO partners, many born since 1997. BNO cant be inherited so I understand.
    This move seems very popular with people who voted Leave. In a time where we may have rocketing unemployment in the short term that is perplexing giving most Leavers views on immigration. Back in the 1980s I think a senior Thatcher government cabinet minister reckoned large scale immigration from HK would be destabilizing for the UK. Times have changed for sure. While we may have a moral obligation, dont we also have that for many former colonies and dependencies? Could it be that the perception is that Hong Kongers are hard working and wealthy? Ive been lucky enough to have visited twice and on my second visit , away from the business district and expats I was struck by the levels of poverty and that so many people couldnt communicate in basic English despite our long legacy. Of course, its a foreign country and I don't speak any Chinese dialect. But perhaps the easy to assimilate hard working HK BNO is quite a way from reality

ajrowing likes this.
  6. lunarita

lunarita Lead commenter

7. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This is a special bespoke package:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53246899
    About 350,000 UK passport holders, and 2.6 million others eligible, will be able to come to the UK for five years.
    And after a further year, they will be able to apply for citizenship.

British National Overseas Passport holders in Hong Kong were granted special status in the 1980s but currently have restricted rights and are only entitled to visa-free access to the UK for six months.

Under the government's plans, all British Overseas Nationals and their dependants will be given right to remain in the UK, including the right to work and study, for five years. At this point, they will be able to apply for settled status, and after a further year, seek citizenship.

I think it will be very interesting to see how people who claimed they voted Leave so we could control our borders react to this controlling of our borders. The government is deciding who can come here to settle - that's what Leavers wanted, isn't it? I doubt they envisaged the Government would decide up to 3 million people from Hong Kong would be on the list.

I remember when the Ugandan Asians were expelled by Amin. Many of them were educated & hard-working and had much to offer the country. It didn't prevent them from suffering huge amounts of abuse from a large number of ignorant, racist British people. And that was only 60,000, of which 27,000 eventually came here.

Hopefully, things have improved since 1972 - though since 2016 I have had my doubts.

ajrowing likes this.
  8. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I'd agree with all that except we have rocketing unemployment, not may have.

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Under the government's proposal for HK, the dependents of British Overseas Nationals as well as BNOs themselves will be given the right to remain in the UK for five years, after which they will be able to apply for settled status, and after a further year, seek citizenship.

10. florian gassmann

Iain Duncan Smith has already welcomed the proposal, saying that we must do all that we can to get people out of Hong Kong.

I suspect many Brexiteers will welcome the initiative as evidence that they were never racist or opposed to immigrants, as their opponents have constantly claimed, but merely opposed to British immigration policy being at least partly in the hands of Brussels.

oldsomeman and Kandahar like this.
  11. Mr_Ed

Mr_Ed Established commenter

Everyone is missing the point: haven't Chyna reneged on the deal? Possibly taking advantage of our turmoil dealing with Covid-19 which CAME FROM CHINA!

This should be being dealt with by the United Nations - we should be getting the help of America too.

We should immediately cancel any Chinese infrastructure projects (Nuclear Power Stations, 5G etc).

Any Chinese owned buildings and businesses in London and the UK should be commandeered by the British Government and not returned until China agrees to go back to its original agreement over Hong Kong which I think dates from 1997 and lasts 99 years.

We may be a small country now without an empire, but in the world of Nuclear armed submarines that doesn't really matter anymore.

Mr-Mathematics and Doitforfree like this.
  12. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Established commenter

I doubt whether everyone who is eligible would decide to move to the UK. A friend of mine in Australia sent me a report saying that the Australian government is also considering offering citizenship packages to HK residents who wish to leave. Others may well be able to move to the USA or Canada.

13. MyOrchid

As others have mentioned, dependents would be included in the deal, meaning those born after 1997 to BNO passport holders or those eligible to apply would qualify.

I agree that we do have other dependencies and former colonies. However, these are not in that same situation in which HK currently finds itself.

In my experience, HK people are certainly hard working. Not all of them are wealthy. HK has sold itself as a free market with low tax for many years. However, it is not truly a free market. Many goods and services are provided at best by duopolies - supermarkets, fast food outlets, chemist's shops and electricity supplies spring to mind immediately. Petrol prices in HK are currently around GBP1.70/litre. This is obviously due to collusion between companies and between companies and the government. There are multiple government departments charged with ensuring free markets but most of their time is spent obfuscating lest they rock the boat. The consequence of this is that the average HK monthly wage is around 1,700 GBP. The "levels of poverty" you saw are caused by those on low wages (currently minimum wage is around 3.50 GBP per hour), the elderly who do not own property, and S. Asian immigrants, of whom there are relatively few. The HK government makes most of its money from tax on land sales - it currently has trillions of dollars in reserve, which are not effectively shared with the poorest. It spent almost 90 billion HK$ on a bridge to the mainland. The land it sells is held by multinational construction consortiums who hoard it so the price of land and property goes up. This was the biggest shame that was, very slowly, being addressed by the administration prior to the beginning of last year's protests against the extradition law. Since then, Covid and the new national security law means that nothing has been done. HK is now a cash machine for the mainland.

Regarding communicating in English, many people can but prefer not to as they are embarrassed by their ability. Tellingly, those HK Chinese I know who live in England all speak very good English, even those in their 70's and 80's, having learned it there or in HK. The same cannot perhaps be said for other nationalities. Trust me, if given the chance to work and better themselves, integrate and not cause a fuss, they do.

burajda likes this.
  14. BillyBobJoe

I don't think threatening to nuke Beijing is on the cards. Even Trump isn't that insane. Disengagement with China would be a good thing, but it would need to be planned, international, and long term. At the moment we're far too reliant on Chinese manufacturing to make any sort of abrupt unilateral separation. The economic shock from China's retaliation to any sort of confiscation plan, plus the loss of confidence in the UK as a safe place to do business (remember that there is an awful lot of dodgy money sloshing around London) would dwarf both Covid-19 and Brexit. No, if we want to extract ourselves from China's clutches we'll need to be very careful about how we do it. A major part will be creating highly automated domestic manufacturing to displace imports, and that would take time.

15. MyOrchid

A major part will be creating highly automated domestic manufacturing to displace imports, and that would take time.

What will also take time is persuading all the fund managers and their clients to dump stock in Chinese companies, many of which have made big profits over recent years...

16. Wanda_the_Wonder

Wanda_the_Wonder Occasional commenter

Has Nigel Farage commented on this plan so far? Got a feeling he won't be happy.

17. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

China aren't going to let this pass without striking back. Do we really think the UK will stand up to them?

China vows to stop UK granting Hongkongers residency
    Chinese ambassador says UK offer breaches international law, after UK foreign secretary admits it cannot force Beijing to let citizens leave

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nt-hongkongers-moving-to-uk-says-dominic-raab

China has said the UK has no right to grant residency to Hongkongers fleeing a harsh new national security law, and vowed to take “corresponding measures” to stop such a move.

The comments, from the Chinese embassy in the UK, come after prime minister Boris Johnson pledged to honour a promise to offer nearly 3 million residents of the former British colony, those with British National (Overseas) status (BNO), the right to settle in the UK.

UK foreign secretary Dominic Raab has admitted there is little Britain can do to “coercively force” China if it tried to block Hongkongers from coming to the UK.

China’s ambassador to the UK, Liu Xiaoming, said on Thursday this would be a violation of agreements between the two countries, and called the UK’s criticism of the national security legislation “irresponsible and unwarranted”.

It is “clear … that all Chinese compatriots residing in Hong Kong are Chinese nationals, whether or not they are holders of the British Dependent Territories Citizens passport or the British National (Overseas) passport,” he said.

“If the British side makes unilateral changes to the relevant practice, it will breach its own position and pledges as well as international law.”

“We firmly oppose this and reserve the right to take corresponding measures,” he said in a statement posted on the embassy’s website on Thursday. “The UK has no sovereignty, jurisdiction or right of ‘supervision’ over Hong Kong”.

18. florian gassmann

It depends how many of us are willing to stop buying cheap Chinese clothers and electrical goods. Probably very few.

19. sidaji

sidaji New commenter

Take all the intelligent ones and save them from the CCP.

20. BillyBobJoe

Clothes is relatively easy, most of our cheap clothes are made in Southern and South East Asia rather than China. Trying to avoid electronic components made in China is virtually impossible on an individual level. Even if you avoid Chinese companies most of the chips and likely the assembly too will still be done in China. Heavy duty industrial strategy, and likely tariffs too, are the only way we're going to extricate ourselves from dependence on China, and I doubt any UK government has the stomach for that.