1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Up a shady creek without a paddle...

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by slingshotsally, Jun 30, 2011.

1. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi all,
    I have a bit of a problem- my son has a problem with is eye and he has an appointment at Moorfields eye hospital. Sadly the only one they have this side of 2012 is on October 19th which my husband could take him to.
    As a result I told the agent of this and asked if the school would him come with his father later in November- he has said that he willl withdraw my application completely for September. As regards January, I would have to start the application process all over again.
    The shady creek is now upon me- September without a permanent job in Britain, and starting all over with applications for jobs abroad, the nightmare of waiting for a call on daily supply yet paying all the bills and ending up using the VISA card which I spent so long paying off!!
    Should I try again and wait for jobs comimg up in August? Or just hang in for posts starting in January? In my situation what would you do?
    BPG

2. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

Well, if the NHS really is such a load of rubbbish that they cannot squeeze your son in until the 19th of October, my advice would be to get a job overseas as soon as possible and leave behind the UK and its second-rate healthcare system.
    My wife and I have both had surgery here in Qatar and the standard of healthcare provided has been excellent. We did not have to wait for ages and it did not cost us a penny. The owner of the school where I am teaching said that if I was not happy with the treatment at the Hamad Hospital, then my wife could have her surgery done at a private hospital and the school would pick up the tab.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Certain elements of your post have confused me, not just the mixed up grammar.
    What do you mean:
    ?
    ?
    Do you mean you were going through a job agency? How would your husband arriving late affect your job?

4. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Hi Hippo and MM,
    Sorry about the grammar.
    Just to clarify matters-
    1. I applied for the post via an agency, so I thought it wise to discuss situation with him (as he had got me the post)
    2. I didn't think it would affect my post -however the agent regarded it a problem?!
    I am really confused- I just wanted to re-arrange travel for my son and husband not get the sack.
    BPG

5. the hippo

the hippo Established commenter Community helper

I really think that this agency has messed you about. Of course, as a parent, you are absolutely right to be concerned about the health of your child and you want to get the best healthcare you can. However, most schools that employ teachers who have families realise that children (and their parents) do need medical care from time to time and so this should not have been a problem. No one chooses when they are ill - it just happens!
    Now it is true that the level of care provided raight across the Middle East is pretty patchy, with some schools providing medical insurance for their teachers that is sub-standard. (This is what Mrs Hippo and I found when we went to Ras Al Khaimah.) However, one of the major reasons why we decided to move back to Qatar was because we knew that the medical care here was good, as good if not better than in the UK.
    I am appalled that your agent has messed you about in this way. My guess is that if you had contacted the school, you would have had a much more sympathetic response.