1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unwell 17 month old. Not eating.

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon4046, Jan 4, 2011.

1. She has a bad cold - also a hacking cough and I think she has a sore throat too. She's started to refuse food, although she did have a whole bowl of porridge and milk this morning. Since then though, she's been refusing anything else I give her, although she is drinking. Made some soup, some pasta, have tried her on sandwiches - all of which she's rejected. Have put her to bed, with a bottle of formula as a last resort, but she hasn't touched that either. I have some jelly for when she wakes up...
    Any ideas? If she's like this tomorrow, I'll have to make a GP appointment. This is day three of illness (she's only started refusing food today though)

2. She has a bad cold - also a hacking cough and I think she has a sore throat too. She's started to refuse food, although she did have a whole bowl of porridge and milk this morning. Since then though, she's been refusing anything else I give her, although she is drinking. Made some soup, some pasta, have tried her on sandwiches - all of which she's rejected. Have put her to bed, with a bottle of formula as a last resort, but she hasn't touched that either. I have some jelly for when she wakes up...
    Any ideas? If she's like this tomorrow, I'll have to make a GP appointment. This is day three of illness (she's only started refusing food today though)

3. My main worry would be dehydration-if you suspect this, she needs medical attention sooner rather than later. Can you get her to drink some cooled boiled water with a little glucose (or sugar if no glucose) in it or even flat lemonade or coke-preferably the ones with real sugar as sweeteners could cause diarrhoea? If she has any kind of high temperature she could become dehydrated even quicker.
    I assume she is still in nappies-check out the colour of her urine-if darker than usual-a sure sign of dehydration-if it gets too bad she could end up in hospital on a saline drip (worse case scenario). I wouln't worry unduly about the not eating if she is still taking in fluids-most of us can cope without food for a day or so as long as we keep up our fluid intake.
    As for the cold and cough, if she has trouble breathing it would be an idea to prop her up a bit in bed-easiest way is to put a pillow or two under the head end of her matress. She may be refusing food if her nose is blocked so she can't breathe properly when trying to swallow.
    It's so awful when our kiddies are ill, hope she gets better soon.

4. Thanks JJ. She's taking in fluids, so shouldn't be dehydrated. She had some jelly earlier, so things could be worse, I suppose. I'm doing the proppy-up thing which helps a little at night.
    Can you tell this is my first..? Part of me thinks I'm over-worrying, but even so I think I'll phone for a GP appt tomorrow.
    Thanks for responding.

5. The odds are that it's just a lousy cold but the worry is always the speed at which they seem to get worse if they're going to, and the fact that if they do it's always at 3 a.m.!
    Prepare yourself for a **** night. [​IMG]

6. Ha! Night THREE of crappiness coming up...

*props eyes open with matchsticks*

7. I'm actually resenting her dad right now, working away.

8. Every time she wakes in the night, call him, so he can be truly involved in her care. To care is toi share.

9. Good idea...

10. inq

inq

Ice lollies are sometimes a good way of getting liquids in a soothing manner. Most 17 month olds won't come to too much harm with a few days without food as long as you can get sufficient fluids into them.

11. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I know how you feel! My 18 month old was ill at the start of the xmas holidays. He was sick for 6 days and nights in a row, and was nothing like himself at all. Over that time he ate 4 yoghurts, and he had formula too, but puked a lot of it up. We took him to the doctor on day 1 (for the first time ever) and he was given antibiotics as he had a chest infection. Getting him to actually take the medicine was a challenge.....
    If you're worried about her, take her to the doctors. Chances are she'll be fine, but will just lose a little weight. My little boy is still not eating properly (although to be honest, he hardly eats anyway), but he's fine otherwise.
    Although my husband was here, my little boy only wanted me while he was ill and sobbed his little heart out until I picked him up.

12. Thanks folks. Got an appt this morning - she's got a lousy cold/cough (as lily said) but she'll be fine. GP basically told me what you lot did - plenty of fluids. If she stops drinking, bring her back in.

Thanks so much.

13. Glad we were able to help. Other thing to think about-which we used to give to our kids when I lived in Norway, is a liquid vitamin supplement. I mean for when she's better, to help her build up her resistance so hopefully she won't get too many more colds (and if she won't swallow it, you give it to her whilst she's sitting up in the bath so it doesn't go all over her clothes if she spits it out).
    JJ -in training for when I will be a Gran (not for another 1-4 years according to my daughters)[​IMG]

14. Minadex! I used to give that to my kids after they'd been poorly. Maybe I should take it myself.

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Oh yes - Minadex. I used to have that.
    "Come on, time to chew the railings" my mum used to say.