1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unwelcome return from ML

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by DaisysLot, Jun 26, 2012.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Firstly - I think you come across as reasonable and I totally understand how you feel, but some of this may be heightened by hormones :) Secondly, I had a very similar situation with a late night event that was not on the calendar when I returned from maternity leave too - My baby was then only 17 weeks old and I was breast feeding. At first I asked the head permission to be excused and was met with "You need to sort your childcare out" as a response. So, I then tackled it by pointing out it was unreasonable to direct me for such an event at short notice - that didn't go down well either. So I called in the union and asked them to put the stance in writing..... It was a pointless and unpleasant event that as a still hormonal new mother made me feel very much as you do. Hang in there. Much of this will pass as you settle back in and then, like me, in a year or two you will probably look back at yourself and cringe at the things you cried about :)

2. Thanks for the responses.

I am in two minds about staying on/in teaching. I'm fed up with feeling like it is wrong to be a parent and working full time. I do my best to support everyone in my department even helping out with marking for some teachers who were behind. It all seems like a one way street at the moment, in my eyes, and according to my closest colleague there's a lot of "watch your back and perform like a monkey and show off or you'll risk being placed under 'watch'"( recently converted to academy). Every time I do something for the department that should've been done by someone else, albeit begrudgingly, I always tell myself it's ultimately for the students and this is what keeps me going, but how long can I keep this up for?

I don't want to go next week out of principle and also because I won't be able to find childcare short of bringing the kids with me; but then I don't want to be in the bad books because I've not made the super humongous effort to go. I will be noticed if I don't go, at all events a register is taken!!!

I'm Not even looking forward to September. I know I Have a crud timetable already. Limited exam classes and mostly KS3 (prob bottom sets too).