1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unwanted scroll bar

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by Mathsteach2, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Occasional commenter

When I post using Google Chrome, a scroll bar appears on the right of my posts. Why is this, and how do I get rid of it?

Whilst I am here, I can only find this forum through the help button at the bottom of the home page. Why does it not appear in the Lifestyle list?

God bless.

2. Hello
    I have tested this on my version of Google Chrome (Version 9.0.597.98) but I cannot see a scroll bar to the right of my post other than at the very right of the screen which scrolls down to the footer of the page. Please could you email help@tes.co.uk with a screenshot?
    We moved this forum from the Lifestyle group into it's own group "Help and information" which you will find at the top of the Forums homepage and you can also find it at the bottom of the alphabetical Browse forums list on the TES Homepage.

3. Mathsteach2

Many thanks for your prompt reply, Bev. I am not sure yet how to send a screenshot through my e-mail, I will work on that.

As a little test, I am going to para this post with the chevron ps, to see if that is what is causing it. I notice my OP here does not have this scroll bar.

Ah well, here goes!

4. Mathsteach2

Well, that's interesting!

5. How to take a screenshot
    In Windows, you have two options. Press the Print Screen (or PrtScn) key on your keyboard to copy the entire screen to the clipboard. Press Alt-Print Screen to copy only the active window. Next you'll need to open an image editor (Microsoft Paint, which comes with Windows, is fine if you don't plan on doing any fancy editing), create a new file, and select Paste from the Edit menu. As you save it, change the format to jpg as bmp files are very large. Then send as an attachment in your email.
    You have more choices on a Macintosh. Pressing Command-Shift-3 creates a PICT file of the entire screen in the top directory of your boot drive. Press Command-Shift-4 to change the cursor to a cross, which you can click and drag to select an area of the screen to capture in a PICT file. The same combination with Caps Lock activated changes the cursor to a circle; click a window with the circle to create a PICT of that window. Adding the Control key to any of these combinations copies the screen image to the clipboard.
    There are also popular programs available that can capture screenshots and save them easily in one go. Try searching in any popular search engine to find one.

6. Mathsteach2

Thanks again Bev, but I think I've cracked it!

I was putting chevron ps at the beginning AND END of a para, but it only needs them at the beginning, it seems.

7. You should put p at the beginning (in the chevrons) and /p at the end in the chevrons.
    See the bottom of this page from Help.