1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unwanted lumps

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by anon4582, Dec 8, 2011.

1. After some advise please...
    I have a lump of sorts just under/below the nipple. I have a little history with lumps - I was reviewed years ago in a London Hospital (before all the clinics were introduced) when I was about 19 and informed I'm just a nodulous person [​IMG]
    Anyway, about two years ago I had another lump appear which was quite painful, even the GP was concerned. At that point I was going through a lot of stress with mini Fig concerns, problems with Mr Fig and on numerous occasions close to having my marriage fail. I almost didn't cope when I was refered for a scan and only through an ex work colleage who had recently been through breast cancer, was I able to let off some emotion. I was very scared as my family needed support that I was affraid they would lose if something bad would happen.
    It all turned out to be hormonal with the condescending 'you should check yourself regularly, so you know what things feel like' Well, yes I do and this wasn't normal - they know how to make you feel small!
    Fairly recently I've had the same thing happen, with the lump appearing in the same place, so I was aware and didn't worry about it. The problem is, I also now have the above lump type firm area at the base of the nipple. There isn't any pain or discomfort but its not usually there, well I have spotted it before, its just not been quite as firm which might be making it appear bigger?!

I'm dealing with just as much stress again revolving around the whole of my family and I'm not sure if this is again just a hormonal thing.
    Should I get it checked or wait a while and see if it goes? I know I'll worry myself as my Nan was told she was being silly and her lump wasn't cancer. Later that year, it turned out it was and too late and within a couple of years died (I was still a baby).
    I don't want to be that hypercondriac - I seem to spend half of my time in the GP surgery [​IMG]
    I suppose I'm venting, I know the answer but even so.

2. After some advise please...
    I have a lump of sorts just under/below the nipple. I have a little history with lumps - I was reviewed years ago in a London Hospital (before all the clinics were introduced) when I was about 19 and informed I'm just a nodulous person [​IMG]
    Anyway, about two years ago I had another lump appear which was quite painful, even the GP was concerned. At that point I was going through a lot of stress with mini Fig concerns, problems with Mr Fig and on numerous occasions close to having my marriage fail. I almost didn't cope when I was refered for a scan and only through an ex work colleage who had recently been through breast cancer, was I able to let off some emotion. I was very scared as my family needed support that I was affraid they would lose if something bad would happen.
    It all turned out to be hormonal with the condescending 'you should check yourself regularly, so you know what things feel like' Well, yes I do and this wasn't normal - they know how to make you feel small!
    Fairly recently I've had the same thing happen, with the lump appearing in the same place, so I was aware and didn't worry about it. The problem is, I also now have the above lump type firm area at the base of the nipple. There isn't any pain or discomfort but its not usually there, well I have spotted it before, its just not been quite as firm which might be making it appear bigger?!

I'm dealing with just as much stress again revolving around the whole of my family and I'm not sure if this is again just a hormonal thing.
    Should I get it checked or wait a while and see if it goes? I know I'll worry myself as my Nan was told she was being silly and her lump wasn't cancer. Later that year, it turned out it was and too late and within a couple of years died (I was still a baby).
    I don't want to be that hypercondriac - I seem to spend half of my time in the GP surgery [​IMG]
    I suppose I'm venting, I know the answer but even so.

3. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Go back to the GP. They referred you, so really the consultant shouldn't have made such a stupid comment. How are you supposed to know if a GP doesn't?? You could ask for your hormones to be checked at the same time to see if there is anything triggering it off. I have had cysts removed a few times, but better to be safe than sorry.

4. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

Agree - get it checked out.
    I too have had several cysts, and each time the breast unit have been quite clear with me that if I get another, I should go to the doctor, just in case, even if I'm fairly sure it's the same thing again.

5. I wonder if you are suffering from anxiety. Sometimes when we are dealing with stress in our lives we find something more concrete to worry about. Something that we can control. Also you have that worry at the back of your mind about your nan.
    I did this many years ago and I used my breasts to focus that worry and anxiety. It's easy to find lumpy bits if you feel hard enough. Please don't be offended by me saying this but I was just like this. I would wait until your next period and if you still feel that this lump is still there then please do visit your GP to have it checked. I say this because when I was younger my breasts were very lumpy due to hormones and the doctor would always say wait until a week after your period and check again. Generally the lump would get smaller or disappear. It might be worth you going on oil of primrose. That might help to regulate your hormones.

6. Thanks all.

Not offended Green, although I don't pr0d and poke non stop to find anything, just a mild check every now and again. I've had two children and don't have much left so not a great deal to get confused with [​IMG]

7. When I found a lump many years ago-it was about this time of year. I told my husband, but said nothing to anyone else and then monitored it for a month through my monthly cycle and over the Christmas break,. When it was still there at the end of that month, I then went to the GP and got a referral.
    We are lucky that we have private medical cover through my husband's job, so I saw a consultant within a couple of weeks. I had to have a mammograph and ultrasound scan before I saw the consultant. Interestingly the male radiologist (doctor as opposed to technician) who did the scan, gave me the 'there's nothing there, dearie' routine!
    Then went into the consultant who told me that the 'pictures' were all clear. and then I showed him where the lump was-he felt it too and agreed with me. I had it removed a couple of weeks later (it turned out to be nothing sinister)
    All I'm trying to say is it's your body and you know it best. If something seems wrong, then you deserve to have it checked out-that's what we pay our taxes for-and ultimately our taxes pay for the NHS which pays the doctors' salaries.
    As far as looking after yourself, I found the herbal supplement Agnus castus to be great for reducing the mood swings etc that followed my monthly hormonal cycle.
    Well past all that now, so it's a different supplement for the post menopausal symptoms. [​IMG]