1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unusual interview setup, not sure what to expect?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lily_w, Nov 4, 2011.

1. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to say I have another all-day interview next week for a KS1 job. I wasn't sure if they'd shortlist me as I hadn't visited but they did and I'm hoping I will finally get something.
    I was expecting the usual lesson observation and interview but this one is a bit different. I received an email which said I wouldn't be preparing/teaching a lesson but instead I will be spending time in classes during the day and I will be asked to engage with a focus group (I assume it's a different group in each class.)
    I have never been to an interview like this before and I'm not sure what to expect.
    Is it likely the Head will be observing me during these focus group activities?
    What is the best way to prepare? Do you think I will have to do mini lessons each time?
    Has anyone ever been to an interview like this? Would appreciate some tips or your experience as I'm a bit nervous.

2. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm pleased to say I have another all-day interview next week for a KS1 job. I wasn't sure if they'd shortlist me as I hadn't visited but they did and I'm hoping I will finally get something.
    I was expecting the usual lesson observation and interview but this one is a bit different. I received an email which said I wouldn't be preparing/teaching a lesson but instead I will be spending time in classes during the day and I will be asked to engage with a focus group (I assume it's a different group in each class.)
    I have never been to an interview like this before and I'm not sure what to expect.
    Is it likely the Head will be observing me during these focus group activities?
    What is the best way to prepare? Do you think I will have to do mini lessons each time?
    Has anyone ever been to an interview like this? Would appreciate some tips or your experience as I'm a bit nervous.

3. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

Hmmm - interesting! I quite like this idea, although I think it's designed to 'test' you in a range of situations rather than the ultra-planned lesson approach.
    I would guess that the class teacher would have organised the activities and objectives and you would be expected to take it from there. The difficulty that jumps out at me would be making sure you are presenting yourself as a teacher, not as a TA, so dredging up all your subject knowledge and extending / supporting would be important.
    As for observing, as you are going to be doing this throughout the day I would guess that the Head and interviewers will be 'dropping in' at random times.
    Let us know how it goes!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

New to me too!
    I do wonder if the Focus Group may not be with each class. Terribly time-consuming for SLT if they have to keep observing all candidates all day long.
    Might it be all the candidates together, holding a discussion about what they've seen?
    Just an idea.
    Re-read your application and especially your Executive Summary - remind yourself of your strengths. Run through in your mind the principles of progressing learning. Read the interview clickables in the Welcome thread.
    And pat yourself on the back for getting that interview!
    Looking forward to you starting a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

5. lily_w

lily_w New commenter

Thanks for your advice. I am really nervous as I'm worried they will spring something on me and I like to be prepared as that helps me feel confident. I get nervous in interviews anyway so it's not ideal. I will just have to make the best of it, practise my interview answers and give it my best shot. Feeling unsettled though! Will let you know what happens.