1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unusual flours/grains - where to buy?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by rosaespanola, Aug 18, 2015.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I'm hoping there might be some intrepid bakers and gluten-free cooks around who can give me some recommendations for places to buy alternative flours/grains. I've got quite into using different types of flour in my baking, partly due to having family members with coeliac disease and partly just because I like experimenting and trying different things, but there are a few things I'd like to try that I can't find in any of my local wholefood shops and searching online hasn't come up with anything either. I was specifically looking for amaranth flakes, which apparently give quite a nice nutty flavour to baked products, but recommendations for a good value online retailer for any of these sort of things would be helpful as they might well turn out cheaper than the local shops I've been buying them in so far. Thanks!

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

3. rosaespanola

I did have a look on Amazon but I wasn't sure how their prices compare with other retailers so I thought it was worth seeing where other people get things. Unfortunately though, the only amaranth flakes they list that are what I need (unhelpfully, there are amaranth flakes that are the basic grain and are used for cooking, and a sort of cornflake-like cereal made from amaranth that is also called amaranth flakes) are showing as out of stock. I didn't think it was going to be this difficult to track down, but I haven't found anywhere online that has the right thing in stock!

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Have you tried Holland Barrett - I get a lot of baking things from there and they have great free from sections as well. It may be worth going into the store as well as looking online - they have been able to obtain things for me in the past when they haven't been actually instore.

5. rosaespanola

I tried H&B first as there's one within walking distance of where I live, I agree that they do have some good stuff but they didn't have what I was after this time. I asked at the counter and he did a search for me, but said they didn't stock amaranth flakes, only the whole grains. I talked to someone else online who said he's also having trouble getting them at the moment and thinks there must be some sort of national shortage! Apparently quinoa flakes can be substituted, and I know they have them in my local wholefood shop, so I'm going to pick up some of them and see how they go in the recipe I want to try.

6. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I'm going to recommend Bristol sweet mart. They don't appear to have it on their website but that doesn't mean to say they haven't got it. And always good prices as you pay over the odds sometimes.

7. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Suma has some interesting things.

http://www.suma.coop/

I think you need to ahve an account with them though. I have a friend who buys in bulk from them and she orders things and we share them.

Having said that, I am now not sure whether they sell flour. Worth a look anyway.