1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unusual (?) Crossover - Primary to Secondary

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by RobDaniel, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Hello All, I was hoping that you could all help me with some information for my wife please? Unfortunately, the local authority and TDA don't seem to have been much help really. My wife is qualified as BSc (Hon) QTS Primary, but left after about 3 years because of childcare issues and the fact that she wasn't really enjoying the administrative aspects of the job. She's since done some SEN LSA work in Secondary, which actually ended up with her doing the English SEN curriculum planning and some teaching, but she's found that she actually likes teaching Secondary. She'd always wanted to teach Psychology, but the idea of teaching the "big kids" when she was younger put her off (she's only 5ft 2). She's also spent the last 6 years doing an OU Psychology degree and recently graduated with a 2:1, but would now like to know how she can convert all of that into teaching the subject. If anyone can give us any good steers I'd really appreciate it.
    Many thanks,
    Rob

2. Hello All, I was hoping that you could all help me with some information for my wife please? Unfortunately, the local authority and TDA don't seem to have been much help really. My wife is qualified as BSc (Hon) QTS Primary, but left after about 3 years because of childcare issues and the fact that she wasn't really enjoying the administrative aspects of the job. She's since done some SEN LSA work in Secondary, which actually ended up with her doing the English SEN curriculum planning and some teaching, but she's found that she actually likes teaching Secondary. She'd always wanted to teach Psychology, but the idea of teaching the "big kids" when she was younger put her off (she's only 5ft 2). She's also spent the last 6 years doing an OU Psychology degree and recently graduated with a 2:1, but would now like to know how she can convert all of that into teaching the subject. If anyone can give us any good steers I'd really appreciate it.
    Many thanks,
    Rob

3. A teacher is a teacher is a teacher. Subject, school type ... is all irrelevant. As to height, the A level Psy teacher at our school is about that height, maybe smaller, and she seems to be OK at it.
    I have taught at both Primary and Secondary. Paperwork is a state of mind. I now avoid it. It's amazing at what you can get away with not doing (without causing any harm to the pupils of course), or alternately what you can let yourself be talked in to if you are not careful.

4. Some Uni's offer a subject knowledge course which would be supported by your school. Just depends on funding and what subjects require more teachers..
    I am a little concerned that she doesnt like paperwork and might believe the secondary sector is less taxing when it comes to paperwork.
    I teach 210 kids, have a different form group cannot get away from boxticking, much of which is a waste of time.
    The issue of height should also not be a concern. You can either teach or you can't, you can either command respect or you can't, so if she is confident in her professional attributes then she will be able to teach.
    Here is a link although you may want to check current changes that may have taklen place
    http://www.schoolzone.co.uk/resources/articles/Career/Career_Path/Primary_to_secondry.asp

5. I wasn't trying to suggest that she thinks secondary is easier, I should know I did it for a couple of years before my current job, and as far as the height thing is concerned, this was when she was 18. She's now older and wiser and as I say has had experience in this field and realises that it's not an issue. Has anyone got any guidance as to how to do the crossover?

6. I assume in the heat of your rant you have not decided to read the link I have given which gives just about everything that <strike>your wife</strike> you need?

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Lead commenter

I know a secondary assistant head who started oput in primary. It's not a mainstream career progression, but it's haappened before.
    Key thing is to find a head prepared to give her a chance.
    Best wishes,
    P

8. Find a job and apply for it, she is a teacher, so can teach anything she wants or the head wants! She might apply for an english teacher job and then ask for some psychology on her timetable. Good luck though, jobs are not easy to find.

9. Not ranting betamale, simply trying to defend my wife against digs from others. I'm certainly not asking for myself despite your uncalled for assumption. Fair play to anyone involved in teaching at any level, I got out because I didn't want to do it.
    Many thanks for the link to the article it was useful; unfortunately I had not had time to read it,so re-posted my original question in the hope that someone would post talking of their experience of the process.

Thanks to the others for your comments

10. In my experience ( all 5ft of me), secondary teaching is not really dependent on height. Even an average sized woman can be small at the side of a great big Y11 boy!!
    However, it is important to have self confidence. Teenagers can sniff out weakness..I think they actually have a special sense for this.
    I know a number of teachers who started in Primary and moved to Secondary.
    In my opinion, a move the other way would be more of a challenge.

11. I moved from primary to secondary and it was a good move for me. I'm small too, 5'2". I work in an SEN facility but have done class teaching too, and with some very challenging pupils. Primary or secondary, clear behaviour rules and good management backup make a massive difference when you are dealing with challenging behaviour, and I've been fortunate to have good support in this school.
    I made the move when there was a job I wanted to do and I applied for it.

12. deirdreaa

deirdreaa New commenter

All good advice - I am a probationer who would like to transfer from Primary to Secondary Art once I finish my probationer year. Anyone got any advice about how to go about this? I am in Scotland. Could not open the link for some reason...