1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

unsure of which path to take!

Discussion in 'Music' started by floyd1985, May 23, 2011.

1. i've got an interview this week and I'm feeling quite positive about it all. i'm goin for a job in a one person department after working in a two person department for a few years. it's for co-ordinator of music and i'm a little bit worried after speaking to my head today that it might not be the job to go into having not had much tech experience and going into a dept with not much scope for developing this further, etc. he said i might get stuck in a rut and not have much chance of moving on in 5 years(ish) time because i wouldn't have developed enough. the school im at at the moment is about to open it's new department full of recording equipment, practice rooms, sound proof rooms - a music teacher's heaven!!! am i about to let something very good go??
    the other problem is that the school in 2005 had just over 500 kids and now has less than 450. does this sound like a school on the brink of closing down given it had a satisfactory ofsted report as well? the other schools in the area are much bigger with far more numbers on roll (they do have sixth form too but still...) and good/outstanding ofsted reports.
    i really appreciate what he said today, but after feeling very confident about the job interview with a view to making it into my own department, i'm now beginning to wonder if it's not gona be what i thought
    not saying i will get the job i go for, but what are people's views?? i don't really want to stay for another year having to work for the same HoD but do i just to get a yearsworth of experience? my current school is lovely and the kids are lovely but i'm also wanting to do things my way!
    please help :)

2. i've got an interview this week and I'm feeling quite positive about it all. i'm goin for a job in a one person department after working in a two person department for a few years. it's for co-ordinator of music and i'm a little bit worried after speaking to my head today that it might not be the job to go into having not had much tech experience and going into a dept with not much scope for developing this further, etc. he said i might get stuck in a rut and not have much chance of moving on in 5 years(ish) time because i wouldn't have developed enough. the school im at at the moment is about to open it's new department full of recording equipment, practice rooms, sound proof rooms - a music teacher's heaven!!! am i about to let something very good go??
    the other problem is that the school in 2005 had just over 500 kids and now has less than 450. does this sound like a school on the brink of closing down given it had a satisfactory ofsted report as well? the other schools in the area are much bigger with far more numbers on roll (they do have sixth form too but still...) and good/outstanding ofsted reports.
    i really appreciate what he said today, but after feeling very confident about the job interview with a view to making it into my own department, i'm now beginning to wonder if it's not gona be what i thought
    not saying i will get the job i go for, but what are people's views?? i don't really want to stay for another year having to work for the same HoD but do i just to get a yearsworth of experience? my current school is lovely and the kids are lovely but i'm also wanting to do things my way!
    please help :)

3. I think your head is right, it sounds to me like one of those barge pole jobs with failure written all over it.

4. have just scanned over what you say (long day and all that!) and I have to say I agree with Matilda - falling roll, not good, satisfactory ofsted...hmmm...

5. Red wine fan

Red wine fan New commenter

I would go to the interview and follow your gut feeling.
    I have been in a similar position myself some years ago. Basically I wanted out of a not very nice school and applied for all sorts of jobs. My husband was working in Devon and I was in South Manchester, so it was not ideal for our relationship. I had an interview for a HoD job in Devon and was quite chilled about it because I didn't want to move south. The next day I had an interview for a job in a very nice school which was a 15 minute walk from my home in Manchester. The Devon school was really nice, 11-16 and with a friendly staff. As I drove home, they offered me the job, but I asked them for 24 hours as I wanted to attend the other interview. I went to the Manchester school and within 10 minutes I knew I couldn't work for the HoD or teach her very prescriptive SoW. I went into the interview and before they started the questions, I told them that I had been offered a HoD job elsewhere and I felt that working in the *nice* school would be a sideways step. The Head was lovely, and she and the panel wished me well, saying that if it didn't work out in Devon, they would be glad to give me a job. I took the Devon job, moved south and am still in Devon 13 years later (albeit in a different school now and not HoD).
    Had I not attended the 2nd interview, I would never have known, and the Devon school was great because they understood what a big step it was for me. In the nature of these things, it all worked out well in the end. Sometimes, you have to look at jobs elsewhere to make you appreciate what you have already. Can your present HoD give you any areas of responsibility to help develop your career for when the right job turns up?

6. thanks for your advice...i'm going to go into it positively and just see what the school is like...obviously can't make a decision until i've seen it but it helps knowing people have been in similar situations.
    thing is i'd rather just have a different head of department... i know im lucky in everything else at the school and i won't get into the reasons why i'd rather have a different HoD but i know that i really don't want to have to put up with certain things for another year.
    [​IMG]

7. gliss

gliss New commenter

go to the interview and as others say...go with your gut, but, i would also try to speak to slt and see if you can change your line manager from HOD so that you can get cpd support from another member of staff. good luck
    ps writing with a broken arm so no capitals

8. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi Floyd,
    I'd go to the interview as others have said and yes, the falling role may be a bad sign but surely they will want to improve and you could be part of that improvement? Sole-teacher is great as you can organise your own department and maybe expand it over time - that is good development for any teacher.
    You sound ready for a change, the last sentence sums up your feelings I think! I was in your position years ago and (for many reasons I won't go into!) let the opportunity for change pass me by (I'm happy now but could have been years ago had I been more courageous). So go for it Floyd and keep us posted about your results!

Good Luck!

(Gliss, hope your arm gets better soon [​IMG]

9. You have nothing to lose by going for the job interview. You will know 'gut instinct' if the job 'fits'
    Also you don't have to stay in your current situation for a year - job opportunities arise all the time , clearly in music not as much as we would like but who knows what might come up in September for a January 2012 start ?
    You will have top weigh it all up on your interview day

Best of luck to you

10. Thanku people for all the comments.went for Interview,really loved the place.it's small but all things said by staff were very positive -got such a lovely vibe and now have a job there!!!big yay!!! I'm so pleased and the staff were so lovely when i said I'd been appointed!! Really good move and I'm so excited to do things my way!!! Thanks again people. I like you positive people :) xxx

11. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Congratulations [​IMG]
    Hope you enjoy - all sounds lovely!