1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unsure of whether to go back

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by iheartpoetry, Sep 3, 2012.

1. Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear you've had such a tough time and I've not even started my NQT year so I probably don't know what I'm on about but I just wanted to send you some encouragement and say that I hope things improve for you. Only you can really know the answer to that question so I don't want to say what to do. Wishing you all the very best. Do whatever makes you happy.

2. I think you should go to see a doctor.
    I was in a similar position last year. I started my primary NQT year in September After the christmas holidays I dreaded going back, every day I woke up wishing I could so anything but go into school and teach. I would cry in the car on my way to work, and on the way home. I, like you, felt all alone.
    I went to the doctors and was diagnosed with depression and anxiety.
    I eventually went on anti depressants but in March it all got too much. I ended up in tears in the head's office and after 2 months signed off sick, ended my contract early in May with still 1 term of NQT to do. It seemed like the worst thing in the world, leaving this job I had been so excited about but in the end, my mental health was just to important.
    It's ok to stuggle, it's ok to say to someone "you know what, I cannot cope with this, I need your help" It doesn't have to be the head or HoD, it could be a fellow NQT or even the secretary, anybody you feel comfortable with and trust.
    Go and talk to someone. Please. You cannot go on struggling. You cannot teach in a state of desparation, it'll finish you off. Leaving teaching was the best decision I made, hard yes, but it has helped me to get to a place to mental strength again.
    Message me if you need to talk. I've also written a blog, you may want to have a look :http://blackdoggeoffrey.blogspot.co.uk xxx