1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unsure of what to do

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Zebrahead, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Im a bit lost at the moment. Ive been working in a private nursery but have now just got a job in a primary school. I cannot plan though. Where do we get our planning from now the strategies and frameworks have gone? What learning objectives should i be using? What is it that i want from the children by the end of the week?

There is no previous planning for me to look at, and the staff are all busy with their own classes. i have looked at click teaching and Hamilton trust, but i cannot use them. I feel so out of my depth at the moment.
    Please help

2. Im a bit lost at the moment. Ive been working in a private nursery but have now just got a job in a primary school. I cannot plan though. Where do we get our planning from now the strategies and frameworks have gone? What learning objectives should i be using? What is it that i want from the children by the end of the week?

There is no previous planning for me to look at, and the staff are all busy with their own classes. i have looked at click teaching and Hamilton trust, but i cannot use them. I feel so out of my depth at the moment.
    Please help

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

What age group are you teaching?

4. Without wishing to sound rude, were you not asked about planning at your interview?
    I would have thought that this was a requirement of the job - which is one reason I don't feel able to apply for ft posts as being a supply teacher (although that is a misnomer given the amount that is availabale) I am out of touch with current planning guidelines.
    Good luck with finding relevant resources and congratulations on your appointment.

5. MizUnderstood

MizUnderstood New commenter

Whilst the National Strategies etc have been archived most schools are still planning from the frameworks, as the ConDems haven't let us know what on earth is replacing it, they are still available if you google them or look on TeachFind.
    Some schools have already pulled the objectives across into their own overview map, so if you ask you might find that somewhere on the system is your outline. Even if staff are busy you need to ask them where they are planning from, as if they have implemented a certain system you need to be sticking by this.
    There are loads of good planning ideas out there, I'm only a trainee so when I know what I'm going to be teaching I scout for a couple of schemes of work on the unit and then magpie the bits I like, change the bits I don't, but as a starting point I find they help me flesh out the framework and help me get my head round the unit as a whole. I've never used a SoW exactly as I've found it as I change things to suit my class, but they definately help me understand where they need to be going.

6. Ive been given the job of teaching year 1.
    I have taught this age range years ago but that was before the framework came and went.
    Thanks

7. Also, where do we find our WALTS from?
    Thanks