1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

unsure of contract terminology

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by missminime, Dec 5, 2011.

1. New to been on this forum.
    Just hoping someone can shed light on a contract I have been asked to sign. Originally the post was to cover a long term absence, since been offered the job and taking up the post the teacher has resigned and therefore will not ever be returning to the school.
    My confusion is the wording on my contract

"fixed term - to cover an absence and will terminate the day before their return to work or on the termination of the substantive post holders contract."

Only just got the contract today - but the wording does not make sense to me, as there is no longer a substantive post holder.

Am I reading the wording correctly?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

MMM

2. New to been on this forum.
    Just hoping someone can shed light on a contract I have been asked to sign. Originally the post was to cover a long term absence, since been offered the job and taking up the post the teacher has resigned and therefore will not ever be returning to the school.
    My confusion is the wording on my contract

"fixed term - to cover an absence and will terminate the day before their return to work or on the termination of the substantive post holders contract."

Only just got the contract today - but the wording does not make sense to me, as there is no longer a substantive post holder.

Am I reading the wording correctly?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

MMM

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

'fixed term' is a phrase often used for one year contracts. You would be right to ask what the 'fixed term' was.

4. Thanks DaisysLot,

will ask tomorrow. And give LEA employment services a bell to shed light hopefully.

Assuming at some point the post will be advertised for a perm post...

MMM

5. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

The person has resigned but will have had to give the requisite notice. As such, they may still be employed, but just serving their notice period whilst absent. If this is the case, the contract you have been asked to sign would expire when their notice period expired. If that is the case, a truly bizarre contract term.

I agree with Daisy, ask them what it means...