1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unsure about long term placement

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by 23741589, Jan 12, 2020.

1. 23741589

23741589 New commenter

How would you guys feel? Ive accepted a longterm supply placement till the end of the year. I don't want to do it as I'm leaving teaching entirely and have a job offer for September. But if I left, I'd feel really guilty. The kids have had about 5 supplies this year already.

Had anyone been in a similar situation before? If so how did you handle it?

Thanks guys

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm sorry, but for me it would be a no-no to start a job until Dec., knowing I'd have to leave in the summer. I'd feel dishonest, unless i was upfront with the school. But then I wouldn't have already accepted it.

I appreciate you do need an income however and if the school would be amenable to you doing two terms, as all the pupils/students would be moving then they may agree.

Or have I got things wrong and 'end of year' is the school year and you're wondering about teaching f/t till the summer, knowing you're quitting teaching? Presumably for a reason, which could affect your teaching this post?

JohnJCazorla and pepper5 like this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I get the guilt but only in the abstract sense. Having done long-term supply for the last 3 years I've committed and been on the receiving end of rather dodgy practices so my conscience is only clear because I've told it to shut up.

If continuity requires a teacher being there until the end of the year then why wasn't a contract offered up to that point? Even that contract would allow notice to be offered. I assume the school is happy with supply because if someone better (cheaper) turns up then you're out.

A conscience is an unnecessary burden in the world of supply.

4. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Occasional commenter

No matter what the school says now, a long term placement may only last until you ruffle the wrong feathers of an SLT half wit or a difficult child's equally difficult parent complains about some triviality. Unless you've got a contract it may all end tomorrow. Don't feel guilty, I doubt anyone has ever lost any sleep when they've cut a supply teacher loose. We are the Expendables!

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.
  5. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I try to honour commitments but various things can happen.

1) School decides it can cover internally much more cheaply
    2) School takes offence and ends your contract that day
    3) The children don’t settle even when you have been there a decent amount of time and SLT can’t / won’t help with discipline.
    4) You become ill. Or some major crisis happens. (This also happens to permanent staff)

As you’ve accepted why not give it a real go for at least a few weeks. It would be nice to leave on a good note and you never know when a glowing reference might come in handy. If it’s not working out you could give a decent amount of notice so they can find a replacement.

If the kids are good why would you leave? If the kids won’t settle for you you don’t need to feel guilty.

There’s not a lot of work about at the moment....make the most of it.