1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unsure about Job Advert

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Harb17, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Seen a job in a school I would love ot work in, but it is for an assistant subject leader. It says NQTs welcome to apply and it starts in September by which time I will have completed two terms of my NQT year. Am I being stupid or is an assistant subject leader an advanced role for an NQT. Doubt I will apply as I am struggling with my NQT year but am just curious

2. Assistant subject leader is not too advanced for an NQT! It is advisable that you don't undertake subject leadership as an NQT but in some schools (e.g. small schools) it is unavoidable.
    However, as you say you are struggling with your NQT year it may not be advisable to take on a role that would have additional workload/responsibility.

3. Thanks was just curious about the advert. And its nice to have some confirmation - the extra pressure would be too much. Actually what does an assistant subject leader do?

4. I don't know! I've never known a school to have assistant subject leaders! I certainly have never had the luxury of an assitant as a subject leader! [​IMG]

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I was assistant subject leader ages and ages ago...in a different lifetime!

Basically think about the difference between HT and DH, that for us was the difference between SL and ASL.

I took meeting when she wasn't there, I had some areas of responsibility that were mine alone as did she. She did lots more work, got paid lots more and had lots more time.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it if you are already struggling a bit with your NQT workload/standards. You really need to have a reached a point where you are confident and capable and looking for extra work.

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Meant to say that only English and Maths had them and it was a large middle seemed secondary school.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Do be wary of additional responsibilities if they get in the way of your induction. In your third term you still require the reduced timetable, support and assessment. The job role varies tremendously and depends upon the size of the school and its structures.

8. I'm currently an NQT and even though it was never advertised as such, I was automatically put down as an assistant subject leader at my school.
    I have not had too much to do in the role - the occasional lesson observation, resource management, pupil interviews etc. As an NQT, it really is the least of my worries!!

9. I'm a Head of Department and a NQT. Even with 14 years experience teaching my subject in further education there's a lot I can't get through because I'm bogged down with NQT stuff. My HT is very sympathetic. They know they are investing in the future by employing me, so are patient while I learn the ropes. I say go for it and if they want you they will gradually increase your responsibilities as you become more confident.