1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unsupportive parent wants governor post

Discussion in 'Governors' started by pjhewett, Mar 24, 2012.

1. pjhewett

pjhewett New commenter

Yes. It's not a question of whether you can find a way round it, it would be unlawful not to accept all nominations and then put them to a properly managed vote by parents.

Most annoying parents won't get the support but if they do get support, then you need to be aware that possibly their views are shared by other and that is useful data, whether you want to do anything about it or not.

Bear in mind individual governors have no remit other than that given by the GB - so an irritating parent may well not be able to be such an irritating governor!

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Why did you refer to yourself in the third person at the start of the post?
    One may be led to think that you have an agenda all of your own. Not everybody has to love you...

3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

I would have thought that a Head Teacher might have known where to use capital letters ...

4. I have been a governor and not felt accepted by the head - I beluieve similar worries about me, nt that I was encouraging bad feeling, but that I was encouraging parents to express their feelings-which were and are sometimes bad. I now lead the freinds of the school group with a teacher and the head and governors seem to have totally opened up in the last year or so.
    Try to welcome this parent and engage in communication with them - if they care enough to be a governor then hopefully they will care enough to want positive change.And yeah, I didn't fully understand the role when I first started, sorry if it is obvious to u, but do discuss with all potential govs the need to be positive role models for the school and that their role as parent is the other half of the coin and that there aren't magic wands to wave.
    Best wishes