1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unsuccessful Job Interview - Reasons and Feedback,

Discussion in 'Geography' started by geokoliv1, May 11, 2016.

1. geokoliv1

geokoliv1 New commenter

I have prepared this lesson from scratch on the topic “Renewable versus Non-Renewable resources” for year 7 mixed ability, because I have been invited for a Geography teacher job interview at [This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] on 11th May 2016. Duration of the lesson is 25 minutes.

For starter, with a selection of photos for pupils to use, I’ve showed a range of environments, from Britain and elsewhere, with the connection that they all show a potential source of energy – for example, a wind coast, a hot desert, forest and a coal mine. Pupils then matched each photo to one energy resource.

For main activities I differentiated and explained both type of energy resources – renewable and non-renewable with examples and asked students to list in the appropriate place the energy resources, shown in a table – 3 minutes. After this, I asked students to do next task - Choose the best sites for different types of power station by using provided map of the UK – 5 minutes. As an extension task for high ability students – to research a country in an atlas to choose a best renewable energy resource.

The structure of the lesson:

Title: Renewable versus Non-Renewable resources;

LO: Distinguish between renewable and non-renewable energy resources.

Success criteria:

Bronze – to list renewable and non-renewable resources - 3;

Silver - choose the best sites for different types of power stations - 4;

Gold - research a country from an atlas to choose the best renewable energy resource - 5.

Key words:

Renewable Energy

Wind farm

Non-renewable Energy

Solar power

Fossil fuels

Geothermal power

Starter – 8 minutes;

Main activity – 15 minutes

Plenary – 2 minutes

The lesson-presentation can be seen on Youtube -

The feedback of my lesson from the observer Head of Department was negative and because of this, the Headteacher asked me to leave the interview because of not good geographical knowledge.

WHAT WRONG DID I DO?

I appreciate your feedback.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
  2. geokoliv1

geokoliv1 New commenter

Just to mention that I asked the Headteacher for written feedback and still awaiting. Once I’ve got it, I’ll publish it here.

3. geokoliv1

geokoliv1 New commenter

Already 3 days have gone from the interview, feedback from This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] , hasn't been given :( TThis comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] is re-advertising the role, I am re-applying too. :) I desperately need that feedback, as if they re-invite me for interview, how will I know how to improve my lesson?! Hmm, interesting ...;)

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2016
  4. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

To be honest it looks very good, although quite a lot to get through in 30minutes! Did you get the feedback? Theres nothing wrong with the presentation or your plan so maybe you said something which was incorrect. Good luck with this or other interviews!

geokoliv likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am sorry that things didn't go well for you. However, you should not name a school on the forums, as it is against our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions.

Please do not do this, unless you have written permission from the school to do so.

Best wishes for your next interview.

geokoliv likes this.
  6. geokoliv1

geokoliv1 New commenter

No feedback has been given yet and I don't believe they will. It was short lesson, prepared especially for job interview, by following the Earthworks SoW and resources. The students participated well in lesson.

Did I say something which was incorrect? As you can see from presentation, I simplified the lesson as much as possible. So this is a very simple lesson - a lesson prepared for year 7, for 25 minutes duration.

I remember, when I finished the lesson and asked the students for questions, a very active student, who sat next to observers, asked me one: "Sir, you said the wood is a renewable resource. Do you think it could be listed as a non-renewable resource and why?" My answer was "If humans only cut trees and do not plant any, wood will be non-renewable resource. But we do plant trees and we will, won't we?"

I do not think the school treated me with an appropriate professional manner. I have done other job interviews before but the schools always followed the procedure, listed in the sheet they give you in the beginning of the day and provided me with a feedback at the end. Even more, they've covered the travel expenses.

The worst thing is, teachers like me, doing supply teaching job, don’t go to work in the school they’re meant to be working at, and lost their daily wage, in order to pay attention to the school and go to the interview, and the school itself do not provide with a feedback, neither even offer to cover travel expenses. Anyway, I am glad I haven't got this job!

My opinion to the colleagues: Please do go to visit the school prior start filling the application. It will save you a lot of time, money and nerves.

7. cb324

cb324 Occasional commenter

Try not to over think it too much. Sometimes you don't get the job and it might boil down to a simple reason like they don't think you'd fit well in the team. In fact most interviews are only there to see if you can fit with the team and half the time it isn't just about your teaching but also about how you talk, present yourself and come across during the interview stage. I fluffed my first two job interviews and my lessons were fine but they wasn't really impressed with my interview.

pepper5 likes this.
  8. freckle06

freckle06 Lead commenter

The presentation seems a little chalk and talk to me, but it's very hard to tell what you did whilst this was going. If I'm wrong, I can only apologise. I suspect that the children may have had already some prior knowledge as this is a subject that overlaps with science. 25 minutes isn't very long at all. 'Thunks' are an excellent way of starting a lesson and allow you to gauge what a class already know. They can also take the lesson in an interesting/unexpected direction. Being willing to take a risk can show a school what you're made of, on the other hand it could backfire completely.

I completely agree about staff needing to fit, rather than the quality of the lesson. It's a matching game that has to fit both parties. At my school, a candidates personality is as important, if not more so, than their subject knowledge which can be developed over time. I wish you luck, perhaps it just wasn't meant to be.

pepper5 likes this.
  9. zcsaa44

zcsaa44 New commenter

In regards to not receiving feedback I had that once, I did not hear from the school for days and had realised I did not get the job but it would have been nice to have been told. I phoned up and was told that a letter would have been sent but that was obviously rubbish, I assume a miscommunication occurred and whoever should have contacted me thought someone else did. Maybe I should phone up and ask if i got the job as I am still waiting 7 years later

pepper5 likes this.