1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unstressed vowels??

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Tiny3, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Hi
    I am having a complete mental block trying to plan from the new literacy strategy for Y5, one of the things I am trying to incorporate is spelling unstressed vowels. As an NQT I am still learning many of these things myself (when I went to school we did not learn such things!!) and cannot get to grips with what an unstressed vowel is - I have spent ages hunting on the net and the definitions I find are really not helping - ideally I would like something in child friendly speak. Even on the Literacy site or strategy there does not appear to be a clear explanation. Anyone help explain this to me in plain english please???
    Thank you

2. Hi
    I am having a complete mental block trying to plan from the new literacy strategy for Y5, one of the things I am trying to incorporate is spelling unstressed vowels. As an NQT I am still learning many of these things myself (when I went to school we did not learn such things!!) and cannot get to grips with what an unstressed vowel is - I have spent ages hunting on the net and the definitions I find are really not helping - ideally I would like something in child friendly speak. Even on the Literacy site or strategy there does not appear to be a clear explanation. Anyone help explain this to me in plain english please???
    Thank you

3. A word with an unstressed vowel is spelt with a vowel that we don't pronounce normally e.g. DiffErence - we actually say "diffrance" or
    LibrAry - we usually pronounce this "librey"

Not sure how much this helps you. Does this help?

There was a useful publication from the old Literacy Strategy which listed loads of examples. Racking my brains to think what it's called - should still be a few copies around in school - Spelling Bank?? perahps someone else will remember the proper name for you.

4. Thank you both.
    That is what I thought they were but was still struggling to get my head around it, that does help. thanks again.