1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unstoppable Anxiety

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by cursed, Jul 30, 2012.

1. cursed

cursed New commenter

Hi all, I apologise for the rambling nature of this post in advance but I feel as if I am alone at present and could do with some support or advice.

A few weeks ago I had a tooth extraction following years of recurring infections. Since I was 10 and had 2 teeth removed during a routine check up I have had anxie issues when visiting the dentist but in the end an emergency dentist was forced to remove my molar tooth due to the seventy of infection.

As always happens, immediately people began sharing with me horror stories of their extractions and dry sockets etc, which set me off on a spiral of anxiety, for 5 days I felt like I was on the verge of tears, my face was hugely bruised, swollen and sore. I ended up being prescribed propanalol by my doctor after going to see him for something else and collapsing in tears.

Now it's 16 days since the extraction, I have had tingling in my face and pain occasionally, plus a dry mouth, since Friday I have been on antibiotics as the dentist thought the tingling could be an infection.

I still feel like an absolute mess, being on holiday means I have very little to fill my days with, other than sitting around worrying about my tooth. I am constantly aware of this huge space in my mouth and it's gotten to the point where I can't tell if the pain is real or if I'm so panicked I'm makingnitnup.

My husband was really understanding at first but as he's only had a straightforward extraction that caused him no problems in the past he is struggling to understand how much of a grip I seem to be in over this. I know it's silly, I know it's just a tooth but I honestly can't think of anything else. I've started just going out for drives in the car to take my mind off it. I don't feel like Incan really explain how anxious and upset I feel to anyone without worrying them_ the last time I had an anxiety attack was when my dad was very ill, and it worried everyone so much I don't want to stews anyone out. I don't have any really close friends I can confide in and understandably my husband is fed up of me talking about nothing but a tooth for over a fortnight.

I just don't know what to do to get out of this slump, all day I just can't stop thinking about it. I feel like I'm losing my mind.

Sorry, this has been self indulgent, but I don't know where else to turn.

C x

2. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Go back and see your GP and/or dentist again to ensure that nothing is wrong and that it is healing properly.

3. cursed

cursed New commenter

Hi dozymare, thanks for replying, I've been back quite a few times, made a nuisance of myself and the dentist says its all healing fine, I finish the antibiotics on Wednesday andif I'm still having the tingling in my cheek I will go back, also had surrounding teeth checked and had the doctors check for ear infections.

The biggest issue is that's literally cannot stop thinking about it from the minute I wake up till the minute I fall asleep. Nothing seems to stop me thinking about it. I'm actually napping in the day just because I'm so fed up of thinking about it. And worrying about this leads to worrying about other things, it just seems to be snowballing.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Get your doctor to give you some Valium (Diazepam).

5. cursed - I feel so for you, I have huge anxiety issues about going to the dentist following a very simple tooth extraction when I fainted! I have now found that I can deal with the dentist if I listen to my iPod on full volume; distraction techniques.
    I agree with the previous poster who suggested going back to your doctor and asking for something to calm you down, Valium, short term will help you.
    Have you no interest in the Olympics? You could distract yourself watching that all day [​IMG]
    Take care and please do go back for more help. x

6. cursed

cursed New commenter

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I think I will go back to the doctor and dentist again, just to check. I jay hate the thought of being a nuisance.

7. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

I have had an extraction in the last year, and I am an anxious bunny, like you. (My husband has to take me to the surgery [​IMG]) Let me reassure you that you do feel some strange sensations as the gum heals but it doesn't necessarily mean that anything is wrong - maybe it is akin to the phantom limb sensations you hear about, I don't know why it happens, but it does seem that the more you think about it, the odder it all feels. Time has passed for me, however, and I am not even really aware of the gap most of the time, although even now it occasionally catches me out by twinging and if I am not careful I start to worry that it hasn't healed properly or that a remnant of the root is working its way out. You sound like you have found a good dentist and the antibiotics should sort out any infection. The trick will be to take your mind off your mouth, but that's not easy... You might just find that an engrossing DVD, a good read, or undertaking the task you have been putting off (in my case, sorting out my wardrobe!) takes your mind off the problem and gives you some relief - in which case you'll have confirmation that 'there's nothing good or bad, but thinking makes it so'. It's not self indulgent, by the way - it's just human! I would re-visit the dentist a few days after the end of the course of anti-biotics if I still wasn't satisfied that everything was OK. Make sure he/she knows your history of anxiety because my dentist turned out to be very sympathetic and goes out of his way to be gentle and reassuring. Best wishes...

8. copycat

copycat Senior commenter

Hi cursed,
    That constant feeling of anxiety is so awful and exhausting so you really have my sympathy.
    I'm no expert but do you think that you are generally anxious about something else and it is manifesting itself in your obsession about your tooth?
    I say this because a couple of years ago I became really anxious and obsessed about swine flu. We were going on holiday and I was convinced that the whole family was going to get it either just before we went away or whilst we were away.
    However I think that at the time I was in a general anxious state of mind.
    Either way it is a horrible feeling and I would urge you to get some more help from your GP.
    Good luck. x

9. anteater

anteater New commenter

Can you indulge in some distraction techniques whilst waiting to see the GP again?
    A film that you've always meant to watch but didn't have the time for, or a good novel. A brisk walk somewhere nice, with headphones on if you like to listen to music as you go? And, even, dare I say it, some school work? There's nothing like writing a new SOW to keep the mind absorbed, and you have something tangible and useful at the end of it, which also lifts the spirits.
    Good luck - hope you feel better soon. Anxiety is a pernicious thing.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Doctors do get paid rather a lot of money to look after you so why do you think you are a nuisance?

11. cursed

cursed New commenter

Thanks all of you,

I know it sounds crazy but I do tend to struggle at the start of the holiday, none of my friends are teachers so I often feel a little lonely for the first week or so, that coincided with this and made me just not be able to shake my focus. I have bought myself a few new books this morning, I've rented a few DVDs and had my haircut today to busy myself which has helped somewhat, I'm having a better night. I think I may go into school tomorrow and do some work ready for September, another great distraction!

I plan to go back to the dentist once I've finished the antibiotics, just to get everything checked. I've had less pain today, more general discomfort and the feeling that my teeth are all too if for my mouth but even this has passed this evening. I do feel like I sound different though, the gap has caused me to speak differently which is disconcerting. It's so reassuring to know I'm not the only person who has felt like this at times.

Cx

12. cursed

cursed New commenter

P.S Nutella, I think the fact that the dentist is a family friend makes me feel like I'm being a pain silly I know but still!

13. Hi Cursed
    Having a molar out is horrible and does take time to heal. Don't worry about pestering people if you are worried about it but be reassured by your dentist.
    It sounds a bit silly but what about trying hypnotherapy for the anxiety surrounding it - it can really help you to learn techniques for relaxing - it makes a big difference to the amount of pain you experience - if you are tense your jaw muscles are the first to tense up and that will cause more pain and altered nerve sensation. Some osteopathy or chiropractic practices have qualified hypnotherapists.
    Hope it improves soon.

14. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

It might well be a <u>side effect of the antibiotics</u>. Some of the penicillins are prone to doing this. Sit tight and hope you feel better when you finish the course.
    Call your doctor straight away if you have any feelings of hurting yourself or those around you.

15. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Dry socket syndrome is relatively common after a big extraction. It's painful and takes a while to heal.
    I love being on holiday, and I only work very part time. I don't have enough time to do the things I want, though I am pretty lazy and the things I like doing mainly involve sitting down. Do you have a garden? Or some relatives to visit? Or go out somewhere you really like, or the cinema. If you live near me you're very welcome to come and do some of the jobs on my list! Ilove having the time to read a lot and I'm enjoying the olympics even though I hate sport! Write a book, or a song, or whatever it is that you like to do. Do you like cooking? Bake someone a cake. I'm rambling here, aren't I? That's because I should be doing some of the jobs I DON'T like. They will still be undone at the end of the holidays!

Do nyou want to borrow some teenagers? They make an awful lot of mess in the five minutes of the day they spend out of their rooms.

16. cursed

cursed New commenter

Well. I went to the dentist again yesterday, he has said that the wound is healing strangely and that the extraction caused a hole in my gum that caused a hole in my sinus! The sinus has healed itself now and explains all the weird pain I've been having. The actual tooth wound is healing strangely and slowly but IS healing, I've been given new pain mess and anti biotics.

Just being told that I'm not making it up, that there is an issue which is slowly resolving itself has eased the anxiety a little as I'd convinced myself it was all in my head and I was going mad. Hopefully in the next week or so the wound should close, the pain should go and I'll be back on form.

I'm still taking the anxiety mess and am keeping myself busy with reading, gardening and shopping as some posters suggested which has also really helped!

C x

17. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

That sounds a bit like what happened to someone I know. He had a tooth out and developed a hole through to his sinus, so he could suck water into his mouth and through the hole and blow it out of his nose! Gross. It did heal though.

18. Lidnod

Lidnod Star commenter

Glad you went back and that you can now look forward to being back on form. Best wishes!

19. cursed

cursed New commenter

Thank you all for your support over the last few days x

20. Somes anxiety is completely warranted! Very often medics write things off as being psychological, which can delay the correct treatment. Sometimes you do need to be very insistent and keep pestering.
    I'm glad you found out what was wrong and that it is healing. I hope you recover quickly.