1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unseen interview lesson observation!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inq, Apr 20, 2011.

1. inq

inq

It could be anything but presumably it is to see how you work with Y1 children as much as how you teach.
    My Y1's love anything that could involve moving round, singing, making, they likeeveryone being happy and gentle, they don't like unclear explanations. Year 1's tend to want to please. Instructions for Y1 have to be short and not too many at a time and repeated a few times.
    If you aren't too sure on phonics have a quick look at some of the letters and sounds resources that are around, most of my Y1's are on phase 4-5 at the moment.
    Interviews are often reading a book with an activity, my Y1's are always desperate to see the pictures!
    Have fun with them and good luck!

2. Thanks for the speedy reply inq. I am really looking forward to it, I really want to move down to ks1, just nervous about having to teach something at interview that i havent got a clue about. From your knowledge, what sort of phonics activity might i be asked to do? The more i think about it, it cant be something too complicated as i wont have any resources with me. Just want to be prepared!!!

3. Also, do you think i could move away from the plan, or should i stick to it religiously? Just wondering whether maybe they make it really boring, and want me to improve it in some way. Its difficult not actually seeing it!!! I was thinking of maybe taking some resources, but dont want to over step the mark. Was definately thinking of taking a teddy for behaviour management, eg he's another pair of eyes to be watching etc

4. inq

inq

A teddy friend to watch is a good idea - I sometimes have a shy, quiet animal who goes and sits on the quietest table, if they become noisy he moves away!
    If they are planning the lesson you can presume that it is set at the right level but, like in any lesson, if it appears to be too easy/ hard then I'd adapt it slightly so that you found another way to reach the LO given. It would seem very mean to give you a boring lesson and then expect you to change it without even telling you what subject it is.
    Phonics could be using a vowel digraph to make words, finding objects around the class with a certain sound in them, finding a phoneme within a piece of text. My Y1's like to be able to talk with their partner before I choose someone to answer.

5. lilykitty

lilykitty New commenter

This sounds horrible! Interviews are bad enough, but at least you usually have some control over the lesson observation!
    The best advice I can give would be to focus on your interaction with the children and developing your relationship with them. Familiarise yourself with the literacy & numeracy objectives for Y1 so you know where they should be headed. Perhaps have a look at the Teachers TV website so you can watch some Y1 lessons and get the feel of it.
    Good luck!

6. thank u for all the help inq! /p/
    yes lilykitty, when i got the letter this morning i did have a mini panic!!!! it would have been nice just to have been given a heads up, like ull c the lesson plan on the day but it will be a literacy lesson. Like im panicing bout phonics, but it could be a numeracy lesson!!! /p/
    I think ur both right and im just gonna focus on the relationship and interaction with the children. Im definately going to take something for behaviour purposes etc

7. Oooh good luck! I was in a similar situation a few years ago where I also has to teach, but didn't know what until I got there. Turned out I had to teach a Y6 maths starter - I had never taught Y6 before in my life! I think it's fair to say that I was c*apping myself, but it turned out okay.
    You'll be fine - enjoy it! xxx

8. fenellaf, did u take anything wiv u? was wondering bout taking my laptop? did u have to prepare anything for the lesson once u were there?