1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

unsatisfactory obs

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by mike827, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mike827

mike827 New commenter

I am on the last two weeks of my placement and up until now every thing has been fine. I passed my oservation by my uni tutor and my professional mentor at the school. My mentor has also observed me recently and passed me as satisfactory. However, she obsereved me the other day and gave me an unsatisfactory. I'm really down about it and worried about failing the placement. It affected me for the rest of the week and I got in a bit of a tis about it. She will be oserving me again next week I just wondered if this will affect whether I pass or fail the placement and the course or not?
    any advice appreciated :-(
    ps I am a student secondary citizenship

2. mike827

mike827 New commenter

I am on the last two weeks of my placement and up until now every thing has been fine. I passed my oservation by my uni tutor and my professional mentor at the school. My mentor has also observed me recently and passed me as satisfactory. However, she obsereved me the other day and gave me an unsatisfactory. I'm really down about it and worried about failing the placement. It affected me for the rest of the week and I got in a bit of a tis about it. She will be oserving me again next week I just wondered if this will affect whether I pass or fail the placement and the course or not?
    any advice appreciated :-(
    ps I am a student secondary citizenship

3. We all have bad observations sometimes, so I would doubt you would fail an entire placement on the basis of one observation.
    The important thing to do is find out why you got an unsatisfactory. Use this to make your next observation better!

4. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

I agree! I didn't get graded on my observations in my last block practice, but I got detailed feedback on each one. If I had been graded I'm sure a couple of them would have been unsatisfactory, which is to be expected at this stage. I still passed the practice with positive comments overall. What's important now, as Bekseb says, is to reflect on the constructive criticism, follow the advice and move onwards and upwards!

5. mike827

mike827 New commenter

Thanks guys, I know i'm just probably over reacting. But, there's nothing worse than putting everting into what you're doing, just to be told you'e 'unsatisfactory'.
    Still as you both say it is a glitch and to move on.

Thanks for you're advice:)

6. Are you clear on why it was unsatisfactory? Are you clear on what the focus of the next observation will be (presumably one or two of the factors from the last obs)?

7. mike827

mike827 New commenter

Hi, yes, some of the brighter students were becoming diisengaged towards the end of the lesson, and I did not keep them occupied. Teaching is in a large open space aand the kids get very distracted easily. I'm not a fan of open space teaching, there are too many distractions, with noise from all corners. I prefer the teraditional class based teaching and will be glad to move on.
    I'm sure it is for my own good for developmental reasons, it just knocks you down a bit during a very stressful period.

Thanks for all your feed back:-}

8. Doesn't matter!

I had an observation in the week before I finished my first placement, that was graded unsatisfactory with no good features, and my mentor absolutely ripped me apart - and rightly so. I felt awful at the time, went away, found a cubicle and cried. Then I thought about it, decided she was right, and asked her to observe me again the very next day. I spent the night fixing my lesson plans, got a good night's sleep, and got a 'good' observation the next day.

I'd be more worried about citizenship [​IMG]

9. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

Absolutely no need to worry - as long as your mentor has justified what she felt was unsatisfactory AND helped you set targets/given some suggestions on how it can be improved.

It should only affect whether you pass or fail if you don't show that you have taken any advice/suggestions on board and made some improvement. I came close to failing my 2nd placement as a student teacher, but all my 3rd placement observations were good/outstanding. I showed that I had taken previous criticism on board and set and met targets to tackle the things I wasn't so great at. There are some things, 6 years in, that I'm still not so great at!

My experience was that one rubbish placement (not just an observation!) didn't affect whether I passed the course. It's where you go from here.

If your mentor hasn't given you tips on how to improve - ask her. It's part of her role as a mentor. Good luck :)

10. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Eeeek! God luck with that; this Government doesn't seem to keen on your subject getting express funding.