1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Unreasonable demands

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by skye78, May 3, 2019.

1. skye78

skye78 New commenter

Hello everyone.

I'm sure we are all having to endure ridiculous requests from some agencies, so I was wondering if anyone had any examples such as mine from this week:

An ideal job! Long term cover. All planning, marking, reports, etc, to be done. 68 miles away! Daily rate of £95 offered (I am UPS3) before tax etc.

When I said no way, I was effectively sneered at down the phone for being 'too picky' apparently!

What a nightmare it is, so many agencies springing up all over the place with consultants sitting in their plush offices creaming off vast amounts of money from hard working teachers.

It is so demoralising at times.

Any other examples of unrealistic demands?

2. FrauRussell

FrauRussell New commenter

That's really quite something. It's a challenge, but no doubt someone on here knows an agency that can limbo down to beat it ;)

3. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Blimey! My limit is about 10 miles or 25 minutes.

BetterNow, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

You could easily clean two houses for £95.00 then leave at the end of the day.

Dont let yourself be exploited by agencies.

What you describe is insanity.

5. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Expecting you to do a 140 mile round trip to get to a school is stone, bonker crazy! Not only would cost be prohibitive but you would probably spend more time travelling than you did in front of a class.

BetterNow, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  6. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

The worst I had was 45 miles each way, on not very good roads; it took about an hour and a half each way. I stuck at it for half a term (mortgage to pay!) before I said enough is enough. It didn’t help that the kids had had supply after supply and behaviour had declined as a result.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  7. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

With a smile, tell them good luck getting an NQT to work for that.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  8. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I've been lucky with pay and work offered so maybe I've no right to be on this thread.

But I always regretfully decline such suggestions and thank them profusely for taking the time to ring me. This seems to help when pay is discussed at the end of the conversation and a much less aggressive line throughout.

So at the risk of sounding like a soppy aunt in the middle of a wedding brawl.
    "Why can't we be nice to each other?"

FrauRussell likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Unreasonable or dim, not quite sure, but I had this phone call some time in the recent past-

"Hi, can I speak to bla bla please?"
    (me) " Yes, hello, speaking"
    "Hi, I'm from the Knobalob Agency in (a place a long way from home).Are you actually working at the moment, because I have a post I understand you would be very interested in?"
    "Ah, well I'm doing three days a week supply at the moment, and if you had something on the other two days I'd be interested at least to hear about it"
    "Ah, that's lovely. It's a Maths teaching post in an excellent school, shall i pass them your details?"
    "Well, as I said, I am already committed for three days. What sorts of hours did this school want? And where is it?"
    "Ah, that's lovely, I'll pass them your details then"
    "Well, before you do that, could you tell me about the hours they would need someone for"
    "I'll pass them your details and tell them you're interested"
    "I'm sorry, I cannot say I'm interested until I know what they are looking for"
    "No problem, I'm sure they can tell you when you go over there"
    "erm..."
    "Would you prefer to see them this Friday, or on Monday?"
    "erm..."
    "It's in Jersey..."
    "Eh? Are you kidding me? This Friday or next Monday??!" (it's a fourteen hour return trip...)
    "Ah, that's lovely, I'll let them know either Friday or Monday is fine "

[​IMG]

10. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

I've had numerous issues around here with "it's just down the road"... the road in question being the M1 motorway. Yes it's just down the road - 75 miles away.

FrauRussell, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  11. skye78

skye78 New commenter

Phew, finally had a moment to read your replies. It's ridiculous isn't it, how so many agencies think such an impossible commute is acceptable and become quite offended when we turn such a role down.

I trust you're all having a good half term so far and that work closer to you is coming in. I truly hope so anyway.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  12. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Some years ago, many agencies were staffed with Aussies and Kiwis, who had little idea of the geography of the country, or its congested travelling conditions.

Consultant: "Would you like a day in a lovely, little school in Stirchley.
    Supply teacher: "That's Birmingham. I'm in London.
    Consultant: "Yeh. I know. It's only a couple of hundred clicks down a clear road. Just jump in the ute and you'll be there in no time."

13. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

I hate the word "Consultant" as applied to agency p1mps. I'm a scientific consultant, I have a load of qualifications, both academic and professional and I have professional indemnity insurance for the "advice" that I give people.

The dictionary definition is "a person who provides expert advice professionally". These people do not do that. They are mainly unqualifed "dollies" and p1mp out professional people. There is no expert advice in getting on the phone to some unfortunate supply teacher and then p1mping them out. It is a parasitic bloodsucking "take" and these people are vermin. They are a lice on other humans. The whole thing is a disgusting, immoral shambles.