1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

unqualified teacher to QTS pay transition?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by roseaidin, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Dear James

I am an unqualified teacher, and have been teaching History of Art A level in a London comprehensive for the last 3 years, at pay scale 6, or £29,088.

Next year I will be doing a QTS with PGCE course in Art, which I am paying for myself. The Head has written to me to say she will place me on Main Scale Point 3 from September 2012, or £29,889, assuming I achieve QTS.

This seems surprising to me as I will have had another year's teaching experience plus intensive training and a qualification yet am virtually on the same salary. It seems to me that pay scale 4, or £32,620 could be more appropriate.

Do you have any thoughts or advice for me on approaching the Head regarding this seeming discrepency? Many thanks, Rose

2. Dear James

I am an unqualified teacher, and have been teaching History of Art A level in a London comprehensive for the last 3 years, at pay scale 6, or £29,088.

Next year I will be doing a QTS with PGCE course in Art, which I am paying for myself. The Head has written to me to say she will place me on Main Scale Point 3 from September 2012, or £29,889, assuming I achieve QTS.

This seems surprising to me as I will have had another year's teaching experience plus intensive training and a qualification yet am virtually on the same salary. It seems to me that pay scale 4, or £32,620 could be more appropriate.

Do you have any thoughts or advice for me on approaching the Head regarding this seeming discrepency? Many thanks, Rose

3. Hi
    I do see your point and in truth, salaries are negotiable. The Head probably sees the small increase as fair, though is not perhaps appreciating the cost to you of training. On the other hand, when looking at the pay of any NQT, which is technically what you will be, the cost of training or bursaries etc are not considered. Most start on M1
    I would go back and see if there is room for negotiation, there is an article which may help here:
    http://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=2326526
    Ultimately it is up the the Head and govenors to decide the pay on offer, you can make a case on the basis of your track record, your committment and your expertise. Then it is up to them to decide if they are willing to pay M4 rather than M3.
    James

4. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

To put it into perspective, I am on UPS1 (Upper Pay Scale) and have been teaching for 7 years, qualified. My salary is currently just over £34,000. Give your experience, I'd say what you head has offered is more than fair. I may say that you were damn lucky to be earning nearly £30k as an UNQUALIFIED teacher.