1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

unqualified teacher moving to NQT status in September (at last!!)...what will happen to my pay?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by 16sarah16, Jul 12, 2011.

1. hey everyone,
    I have been working as an unqualified teacher for a number of years, and am currently at the top of the pay scale (around £25k). however, after many years of blood, sweat and lots of tears i have now qualified and am starting my new role as NQT in September, and am wondering what should happen with my pay? the NQT starting salary is around £21.5k, meaning a £3.5k drop in salary. any advice on this? should my pay be matched? if so, who's decision is this? the schools? the LA's? help!
    thanx everyone

2. hey everyone,
    I have been working as an unqualified teacher for a number of years, and am currently at the top of the pay scale (around £25k). however, after many years of blood, sweat and lots of tears i have now qualified and am starting my new role as NQT in September, and am wondering what should happen with my pay? the NQT starting salary is around £21.5k, meaning a £3.5k drop in salary. any advice on this? should my pay be matched? if so, who's decision is this? the schools? the LA's? help!
    thanx everyone

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

For LA paid work you should be paid on the M scale on the point that is just above the point on the Unqualified scale that you last earned.
    Look at the current pay for the top of the Unqualified scale and then find the M point that just exceeds it.
    If yiou are starting work in another LA, you will need evidence from your last LA employer to establish your paypoint.

4. thank you :O)